Can you call Sens. Gillibrand and Schumer and ask them to oppose these cuts in the budget? You can pick one of the cuts listed in this email to highlight in your call.
Senator Kirsten Gillibrand
Report your call
Heads up: Congress is debating a budget plan that would be devastating to New York. Will you pass this along?
Senators Kirsten Gillibrand and Charles Schumer need to hear from all of us about it right now, before they cut a deal in the next few days.
Please spread the word about all of these proposed cuts to New York:
- $188 million would be cut from federal funds for clean and safe water in New York.1
- 8,600 New York children would be immediately cut from Head Start, which provides comprehensive early childhood development services for at-risk children ages zero to five.2
- $406 million would be cut from Pell Grants, affecting all 584,000 higher education students with those grants in New York.3
- Job training and employment services would be effectively eliminated for 84,000 dislocated workers, 83,000 low-income adults, and 18,000 youths age 14 to 21.4
- $7.9 million would be cut from law enforcement assistance, taking cops off the beat.5
It's especially galling when the same budget protects tax breaks for corporations like GE and the very rich.
Just last night the news broke that Congress may be close to striking a deal on the budget. Now is the only time we can influence the outcome.
Sens. Gillibrand and Schumer and ask them to oppose these cuts in the budget? You can pick one of the cuts in this list to highlight in your call.
Senator Kirsten Gillibrand
Senator Charles Schumer
Click to report your call. Then pass this email along locally!
The cuts that the Republicans are proposing would disproportionately hit those who can least afford it in New York, and it's up to us to stop them.
Thanks for all you do.
-Daniel, Amy, Milan, Tate, and the rest of the team
1. "House Bill Means Fewer Children in Head Start, Less Help for Students to Attend College, Less Job Training, and Less Funding for Clean Water," Center on Budget and Policy Priorities, March, 1, 2010
2. "Projected Reduction in Children Served in Head Start Based on H.R. 1—Fiscal Year 2011 Continuing Resolution," Center for Law and Social Policy
3. "House Bill Means Fewer Children in Head Start, Less Help for Students to Attend College, Less Job Training, and Less Funding for Clean Water," Center on Budget and Policy Priorities, March, 1, 2010
Want to support our work? We're entirely funded by our 5 million members—no corporate contributions, no big checks from CEOs. And our tiny staff ensures that small contributions go a long way. Chip in here.
PAID FOR BY MOVEON.ORG POLITICAL ACTION, http://pol.moveon.org/. Not authorized by any candidate or candidate's committee. This email was sent to eddie alfaro on March 31, 2011. To change your email address or update your contact info, click here. To remove yourself from this list, click here.