Hi MoveOn member,
I'm Anne Thompson, MoveOn's Video Lab Director. I don't write you very often because I'm usually behind the scenes, producing videos. But I'm writing you today to talk about what Video Lab is; two big new challenges that we're facing right now and how we're planning to deal with them; and how you can help.
What MoveOn's Video Lab is:
MoveOn launched Video Lab in June 2016. Since then—in just over a year—we've had more than 300 million views on Facebook alone, with viewers having spent 139 million minutes (or a grand total of 264 years) absorbing MoveOn's fact-based stories, context, and timely information.
In this new media environment where roughly half of American adults get their news from social media, video is playing a key role in our priority campaigns.1 In the fight to stop Trumpcare—which we won(!)—we created 142 videos that were viewed 40 million times and shared over 900,000 times. Our videos also generated 37,000 calls to members of Congress.
Two big, new challenges that we're facing:
We've had breakout successes over the past year. But now, there are two big, new challenges that we're facing in the right-wing, fake-news space:
1. Donald Trump has launched a new project, which some reporters are calling "Trump TV."2 Trump TV is an attempt to deliver fake news and "alternative facts" directly to the American people.
2. For years, Fox News has pumped right-wing propaganda into millions of homes. Now, the right-wing media giant Sinclair Broadcast Group is trying to do to local TV news what Fox has done to cable news. Sinclair is forcing their local TV stations to run over-the-top pro-Trump commentaries by Trump adviser Boris Epshteyn during their news broadcasts, and after a proposed mega-merger with Tribune Media, Sinclair would reach 72 percent of households in America.3
How we're fighting back against right-wing, pro-Trump media:
We have an enormous opportunity to respond to these big new challenges and get the truth out—tens of millions of times—by doubling down on what's worked over the past year, continuing to innovate, and growing our team. And it's critical that we make big investments right now, to make sure that we're prepared to respond to an unprecedented assault on the truth going into the 2018 election season.
So here's my simple request: Can you join the fight against right-wing pro-Trump media by chipping in $5 a month to help MoveOn expand our Video Lab team?
It has never been harder for the American people to hear through the noise and learn the facts about what's happening in our country. And I don't need to tell you how extremely dangerous these new developments are to our already teetering democracy.
We've got to counter the right-wing media takeover and tell the truth. Over the past year, we've proven that what Video Lab does really makes a difference. Now, I'm asking for your help to take Video Lab to the next level.
Or if you can't chip in monthly, click here.
Thanks for all you do.
–Anne, Elsie, Sara, Seth, and the rest of the MoveOn Video Lab team
P.S. Here's why Video Lab works so well:
- We're fast. MoveOn's Video Lab team uses cutting-edge production techniques to create powerful, Facebook-optimized videos within the fast-paced news cycle. This ability to move from inception to posting in a few hours means that we're shaping the political conversation as news breaks, providing our audience with independent, carefully sourced, progressive content and analysis that they can share with others. Video Lab releases five to ten videos per week, with a typical viewership of 100,000 per video. At the same time, Video Lab also produces signature pieces with breakout success, such as our Trump's tax returns video created in partnership with Senator Elizabeth Warren—that has received more than 37 million views to date.
- We have a huge reach. Even the best, most timely content has no impact if it doesn't reach viewers. That's why MoveOn's 1.4 million Facebook followers, 264,000 Twitter followers, 45,000 YouTube followers, 24,000 Instagram followers, and millions of members who receive videos over email are so important—along with our team's relationships with some of the internet's biggest social media publishers and networkers, who serve as crucial amplifiers for our messages, helping MoveOn's Facebook posts reach 5-10 million people in a typical week. Video Lab's compelling, shareable storytelling carries widely and quickly, reaching a broad audience at a fraction of the cost of TV ads and other forms of paid media.
- We're an independent, trusted voice. We aren't beholden to any politician, party, corporation, or foundation. We are accountable only to MoveOn members! We fight Trump's lies with the truth, and we stand for core progressive values, including economic and racial justice, healing the planet, and a democracy that belongs to the people instead of to billionaires and corporations. That spirit of independence and our core values come through in our videos.
Convinced? Good! We need your help! Can you chip in $5 a month to help expand MoveOn's Video Lab?
P.P.S. You can check out more than 500 videos from MoveOn's Video Lab here.
1. "Nearly half of U.S. adults get news on Facebook, Pew says," Nieman Journalism Lab, May 26, 2016
2. "Trump TV's 'real news' sounds more like real propaganda," The Washington Post, August 7, 2017
3. "How Trump's FCC aided Sinclair's expansion," Politico, August 6, 2017
Want to support our work? The MoveOn community will work every moment, day by day and year by year, to resist Trump's agenda, contain the damage, defeat hate with love, and begin the process of swinging the nation's pendulum back toward sanity, decency, and the kind of future that we must never give up on. And to do it we need your ongoing support, now more than ever. Will you stand with us?
Contributions to MoveOn.org Civic Action are not tax deductible as charitable contributions for federal income tax purposes. This email was sent to Eddie Alfaro on August 21st, 2017. To change your email address or update your contact info, click here. To remove yourself from this list, click here.