Dear MoveOn member,
This is it: Robert Mueller has just submitted his report on Donald Trump's potential collusion and obstruction of justice. His official findings have been sent to Trump's Attorney General William Barr, and it is now up to Barr to decide if the report will be made public.
Attorney General William Barr must make Mueller's report public. It's that simple. And if Barr attempts to conceal it, we must take to the streets.
This is a defining moment of our time. MoveOn has been preparing for this for months—and now, it is time to act.
This is one of the rare things that virtually all Americans agree on: 9 in 10 Americans want Mueller's report to be public, including a whopping 80% in Trump's own party, according to a poll released Wednesday.1
Barr owes it to the American people. But during his confirmation hearings last year, he refused to commit to releasing the report.2
That is why we have been preparing to go big and demand that the report is made public—and that appropriate action is taken to respond to the findings. Here is what we are ready to do, starting right now:
- Launch a massive push to call on Attorney General William Barr to release the report by pushing out digital ads, asking MoveOn members to pledge to act if Barr refuses to release the report, working with our allies to build a groundswell of public pressure on Barr, and calling on Congress to do everything in their power to prevent a cover-up and compel full transparency from Barr.
- Prepare to activate the Trump is Not Above the Law rapid response network if Barr refuses to make the report public. Over half a million MoveOn members and allies have signed up to attend rapid response events across the country. If word comes that Barr will not release the report, we'll organize events and flood the streets within hours.
- Demand that Congress continue their investigation into Trump's wrongdoing, including subpoenaing key figures to the Judiciary and Intelligence committees of the House, examining conflicts of interest in his tax returns, and launching impeachment proceedings.
Since the launch of the Mueller investigation two years ago there have been 199 criminal charges, 37 indictments or guilty pleas, and five prison sentences for individuals directly connected with Trump and his campaign.3
And yet through it all Donald Trump has called it a "witch hunt." Why? Because he is terrified. He is terrified of what is in this report. He is terrified that his crimes will come to light.
And today, as he hides out at Mar-a-Lago, he is surely more terrified than ever before. Which means he is more likely than ever before to do everything in his power to try and keep this report from the public, discredit its findings, and further consolidate his power.
This moment will test our democracy, and we are ready to meet it. Throughout the past two years, Trump has threatened over and over to shut down the investigation, but due in part to grassroots pressure from MoveOn members and our allies, he failed to stop Robert Mueller from completing his work.
That is what people-power looks like, and we are ready to flex our muscles again to defend our democracy and hold Trump accountable for his actions.
Thanks for all you do.
–David, Kate, Kelly, Thad, and the rest of the team
1. "Poll: 87% say Mueller report should be made public," CNN, March 20, 2019
2. "Trump won't commit to releasing Mueller report, says decision is up to AG," CNN, February 4, 2019
3. Tweet by Common Cause, March 22, 2019
Want to support our work? The MoveOn community will work every moment, day by day and year by year, to resist Trump's agenda, contain the damage, defeat hate with love, and begin the process of swinging the nation's pendulum back toward sanity, decency, and the kind of future that we must never give up on. And to do it we need your support, now more than ever. Will you stand with us?
Contributions to MoveOn.org Civic Action are not tax deductible as charitable contributions for federal income tax purposes. This email was sent to Eddie Alfaro on March 22nd, 2019. To change your email address or update your contact info, click here. To remove yourself from this list, click here.