Dear MoveOn member,
When Donald Trump got onto the stage to accept the Republican nomination for president last week, he goaded his supporters into chanting "12 more years," not "four more years." And they did.
It tops off a profoundly frightening month in which Trump
- said he could postpone the election,
- threatened to send police to polling stations,
- sent secret federal agents into cities to attack peaceful protesters, and
- tried to sabotage the post office to suppress the vote.
Mar, this election is about democracy versus authoritarianism. The stakes have never been higher.
And that's why I'm writing to you today.
MoveOn's team just updated me on their plans to turn out "high-potential voters"—young people, people of color, and first-time voters—in 10 battleground states, and I'm so impressed by how innovative, data-driven, and strategic it is. It's ambitious, bold, and meets the moment.
But MoveOn needs to raise $500,000 this week—and every week until Election Day—to pull off their plans, turn out voters, and ensure that each and every ballot is counted. And MoveOn is counting on tens of thousands of small donations from members like you to make it possible.
If you're able, will you chip in $3 a week? (MoveOn will bill your weekly donation to your credit card once a month starting today and will contact you shortly after the election to see if you want to modify or cancel your weekly donation.)
If you think Trump is on the ropes and will surely lose in November, think again.
Our side has limits because we believe in democracy. Trump has no limits because he doesn't.
Trump will do anything to be re-elected.
Which is why we need to go all-in, starting right now, with voter education, mobilization, and turnout. And here's what impresses me about MoveOn's plan—and why I'm writing to you today: The scale and sophistication of their plan are needed to fight Trump's corruption, lies, and cheating.
The bottom line: MoveOn is on track to recruit and organize more than 1 million volunteers to turn out people they personally know. Yes, 1 million.
But none of it will happen without support from members like you. Will you chip in $3 a week? (MoveOn will bill your weekly donation to your credit card once a month starting today and will contact you shortly after the election to see if you want to modify or cancel your weekly donation.)
Here's some of what MoveOn has planned:
- Running an innovative friend-to-friend voter mobilization program called "Vote Tripling." Recent studies have shown that one of the most effective ways to turn out voters is if their friends and family encourage them to vote. So MoveOn is asking its members to take Vote Tripling pledges: pledges to reach out to three friends, help them make a plan to vote, and ensure they vote in the fall.
- Flexing their analytical muscles to identify and inspire "high-potential voters." MoveOn's research shows that there are millions of voters across the 10 battleground states who are progressive but often stay home on Election Day: young voters, new citizens, voters of color, low-income voters, and others who are often ignored by campaigns. MoveOn's crack analytics team is building algorithms to identify these voters so they can target them with authentic, inspiring content to encourage them to vote. If only a fraction of them cast a ballot, it will make all the difference.
- Fighting back against GOP voter suppression and online disinformation. Just like 2016, white supremacists, far-right extremists, and foreign actors are going all-in to spread disinformation online to suppress voter turnout. But unlike 2016, we're ready to fight back. MoveOn has hired a team of researchers and digital sleuths who are tracking disinformation networks, exposing them, and demanding that social media companies like Facebook take them down so they can't do any more harm.
This is the work we need to do. And MoveOn has the plan to do it. But it's going to take each and every one of us to dig deep and chip in financially to make sure that on November 3 we put an end to the Trump presidency once and for all.
Join me, please, and chip in $3 a week to fund this critical work for as long as it takes. (MoveOn will bill your weekly donation to your credit card once a month starting today and will contact you shortly after the election to see if you want to modify or cancel your weekly donation.)
Thanks for all you do.
PAID FOR BY MOVEON