The Ready to Resist call—our series of national organizing conference calls—is back, this time with Senator Bernie Sanders!
Because you've subscribed to the Ready to Resist call series, we'll call you this Wednesday at 8 p.m. ET (7 CT/6 MT/5 PT) to join the national organizing call with Sen. Bernie Sanders to learn how we can defeat the Trump tax scam and to celebrate progressives' big election wins last week in Virginia and across the country.
And with news breaking this afternoon that the Senate's tax bill now includes a repeal of the health care individual mandate—which means 13 million would lose their health care by 2027 and rates for others will skyrocket—this call is an important opportunity to discuss strategy and move into action. This tax bill is now also the return of Trumpcare, but we can stop it if we organize.
Check out the great lineup of speakers on Wednesday's call:
- Senator Bernie Sanders will break down how the GOP tax scam would transfer more than a trillion dollars in wealth from middle-class and working-class families to already-wealthy millionaires, billionaires, and corporations; what the state of play is in Washington; and real action we all can take where we live to stop this plan, just as we did with Trumpcare.
- Mayor-elect Melvin Carter of St. Paul, Minnesota, will talk about last week's election victories and how we can carry that momentum into defeating the GOP tax plan. Mayor-elect Carter won election last Tuesday as St. Paul's first African-American mayor and has pledged to raise the city's minimum wage to $15 an hour. Minnesota is one of the states whose residents stand to lose the most under the GOP tax scam.
- Joni Bruner, volunteer organizer with Alaska Grassroots Alliance, will report out from the Tax Rally & Hot Cocoa event she's leading today in Anchorage to persuade her two Republican senators to reject the tax scam that hurts Alaska residents.
- Sunjeev Bery, campaign director with MoveOn.org, will discuss actions we can all take this month to stop the tax scam, now a return of Trumpcare.
- Jennifer Epps-Addison, network president and co-executive director of the Center for Popular Democracy, will host the call, and Joe Dinkin, national campaigns director with the Working Families Party, will celebrate last week's tremendous election wins and will walk through how we won them and what they mean for the tax fight and for 2018.
If you'd like to join the call, you don't need to take any action now; just mark your calendar to receive a phone call from the 202 area code tomorrow, Wednesday, November 15, at about 8 p.m. ET (7 CT/6 MT/5 PT)! If you'd prefer to listen via your computer, just visit moveon.org/readytoresist at 8 p.m. ET (7 CT/6 MT/5 PT) tomorrow, Wednesday, November 15.
If you'd like to RSVP for the call with a different phone number than the one you may have originally RSVP'ed with, click here to update your subscription on this form.
If you know you can't join the call, not a problem; no action is needed.
And please help spread the word about the call!
Dear MoveOn member,
Republicans in Congress are racing to pass their tax scam—a massive giveaway to millionaires, billionaires, and corporations at the expense of everyone else. And they are trying to push it through the House this week, with the Senate following soon after.
Fortunately, there are actions we can take to stop this nightmare—just as we stopped Trumpcare again and again—but we have to act now.
That's why MoveOn is joining with Senator Bernie Sanders and People's Action, the Center for Popular Democracy, and the Working Families Party on a national organizing call this Wednesday, November 15 at 8 p.m. ET (7 CT/6 MT/5 PT) to discuss how we can confront and defeat this bill together.
Here's how bad this tax scam is: This bill would
- increase taxes on many middle-class families
- end deductions that support veterans, teachers, people with student loans, and folks with serious medical conditions (and the Senate version would actually eliminate ALL deductions for state and local taxes);
- lead to deep cuts in health care, education, and environmental protection; and
- move more than a trillion dollars to the wealthiest Americans and corporations.
Republicans don't need a single Democratic vote to force it through the House and Senate. But we've seen these odds before—and beaten them.
This is the same scenario we faced with Trumpcare—and we accomplished the impossible. We overcame the odds and stopped a horrific bill that would've hurt regular Americans for the sake of giveaways to the rich.
On this Wednesday's call, we'll hear about the strategy to defeat this Republican scheme—from Sen. Bernie Sanders who will share the stakes of the fight, and from organizers who will talk through how Americans everywhere can effectively plug into this campaign in the critical weeks ahead.
This is the latest in the Ready to Resist series, which ran 15 Sunday-night national organizing calls through the spring and summer.
So join the call—then join us in the streets, on the phones, and over social media as we fight to defeat the Trump Tax Scam.
Thanks for all you do.
–Sunjeev, Emma, Ben, Gabriela, and the rest of the team
P.S. Fired up to defeat the Republicans' bill? In addition to joining the national call Wednesday night, you can also sign up to host a "Tax Scam Caroling" accountability action between Wednesday, November 29 and Saturday, December 2—a critical week when Republicans will be trying to vote on their bill. MoveOn members and allies will be hosting events to stand up to the scrooges behind this morally bankrupt tax scam at a key moment when our actions could stop it. Just click here to host an event near you—MoveOn staff and volunteers will support you every step of the way.
1. "Senate GOP to add repeal of Obamacare insurance mandate into tax bill," The Washington Post, November 14, 2018
Want to support our work? The MoveOn community will work every moment, day by day and year by year, to resist Trump's agenda, contain the damage, defeat hate with love, and begin the process of swinging the nation's pendulum back toward sanity, decency, and the kind of future that we must never give up on. And to do it we need your ongoing support, now more than ever. Will you stand with us?
PAID FOR BY MOVEON