Dear MoveOn member,
That's what we're calling Republicans who won't hold Donald Trump accountable for his craven, reckless, betrayal of American democracy in Helsinki. Putin Republicans are those who continue to defend Trump the way he defended Vladimir Putin on Monday, as Trump attacked U.S. institutions, agents, and intelligence and backed down in the face of Russia's attacks on our open and fair elections.
It's not just the usual critics who were aghast at how Trump groveled before Putin—a growing number of Republican politicians and even some Fox News pundits have rebuked him.1
All of which gives us an opportunity: to cleave open the schisms in the Republican Party, force Trump's defenders to finally rebuke him and take meaningful action to check his reckless actions, and help even more voters see Trump for the self-serving, reckless charlatan he is.
We're launching a rapid-response series of actions to ask Republicans in Congress whether they will hold Trump accountable or else brand them as Putin Republicans as we hold them accountable. Will you chip in $3 to help out?
Here's what we're going to do:
- Demand that members of Congress act or else be branded as Putin Republicans. We'll generate hundreds of thousands of signatures demanding meaningful action, tens of thousands of calls, and hard-hitting videos and social media content that will be seen tens of millions of times, and we'll support rapid-response vigils and actions, including more than actions across the country today.
- Continue to defend Robert Mueller's investigation. It has produced 36 indictments—including charges against 12 Russian agents for cyberattacks just days before Trump acted as Putin's sidekick.2,3 We'll build momentum for Congress to pass bipartisan legislation defending the investigation—or else hold accountable Putin Republicans who block these protections and continue their Trump-cover-up crusade against Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein. And we'll shore up the Nobody Is Above the Law network of more than 900 events with 375,000 participants if Mueller or Rosenstein is fired.
- Demand Congress say "hell no" to any lifetime appointments while Trump's team is under criminal investigation. The man attacking our agencies and defending Putin does not get to appoint the judiciary—especially Brett Kavanaugh, who has written extensively about the right of presidents to act above the law.
- Hold Putin Republicans accountable—through impeachment of Trump, if necessary, and at the ballot box this November to kick Putin Republicans out of the Capitol and end GOP control of Congress.
Will you help us expose, brand, and hold accountable the Putin Republicans including Trump and his enablers in Congress by chipping in $3 now?
There is no doubt that Russian agents interfered with American elections. There is no doubt that Trump has sought to undermine independent investigations to hide the truth about that interference. And there is no doubt that Trump has pursued an agenda that has served Putin's interests—from declaring the European Union a "foe" to threatening to upend NATO.4
This is a clear moment that demands a reaction from every member of Congress—and especially from Republicans who have enabled Trump for too long. And it's a critical moment for MoveOn members to take action.
We'll be in the streets today and in the days ahead, on the airwaves and phones and social media, and we'll be in districts around the country as we ask every Republican: Are you ready to defend America, or are you a Putin Republican? And then we'll hold accountable those who choose Putin and Trump's agenda over American democracy.
MoveOn members have been at the forefront of the fight for an independent investigation with remarkable vigor and support already. Now help us build upon our work at this critical moment.
Thanks for all you do.
–David, Kelly, Nick, Tzyh, and the rest of the team
1. "Even Fox News hosts were aghast after Trump's summit with Putin," The Washington Post, July 17, 2018
2. "All of Robert Mueller's indictments and plea deals in the Russia investigation so far," Vox, July 13, 2018
3. "Russian National Charged in Conspiracy to Act as an Agent of the Russian Federation Within the United States," The United States Department of Justice, July 16, 2018
4. "Trump calls the European Union a 'foe' of the United States," CNN, July 16, 2018
Want to support our work? The MoveOn community will work every moment, day by day and year by year, to resist Trump's agenda, contain the damage, defeat hate with love, and begin the process of swinging the nation's pendulum back toward sanity, decency, and the kind of future that we must never give up on. And to do it we need your support, now more than ever. Will you stand with us?
PAID FOR BY MOVEON