Tuesday, September 3, 2019

Now is the time act. Will you join me?

During the #DefundHate week of action, tell your members of Congress to cut funds to ICE and CBP and close their loopholes for overspending.

Dear fellow MoveOn member,

Congress works for us.

This is what I keep reminding myself as I speak out for immigrants, impeachment, and all the things we need to fix to get ourselves out of this nightmare.

I'm Kenia, a fellow MoveOn member and activist in Nevada. 

My parents came to America as refugees from Cuba. They instilled in me that America is my country, I can speak here, and I need to fight for it. So I started taking action when I was 6 or 7, and I haven't stopped since.

That is why I'm joining MoveOn members across the country to demand that Congress #DefundHate by cutting funds to ICE and CBP and closing their loopholes for overspending. Every dollar given to these out-of-control agencies brings more pain to our communities. And we need to make sure our members of Congress remember that they are working for us.

Will you sign up now to deliver the #DefundHate demands to your representatives this week?

RSVP to visit your members of Congress this week, and MoveOn will send you everything you need to get ready.

ICE and CBP are the problem, not the solution. Immigration should be a safe and empowering choice, but these enforcement agencies are designed to criminalize immigrants and militarize our border. Now, their budgets are skyrocketing as they escalate their attacks and human rights abuses to enact Trump's hateful agenda.

I'm speaking out to #DefundHate because I don't want Mitch McConnell to speak for me. The relentless attacks from the Trump administration are scary. It is frightening to turn on MSNBC every day and see the nightmare is getting worse. But fear is OK; it means we care. Now we need to turn the fear into action because it will take all of us to end this nightmare.

Join me in demanding our representatives fight for us and #DefundHate in the congressional budget that must pass by September 30.

Winning cuts to ICE and CBP is one step toward the larger goal of creating an immigration system that welcomes people with dignity and respect. It's a crucial step that will provide immediate relief to those suffering in detention and at the hands of Trump's deportation machine.

We can't wait. Congress must fund the government by September 30, and this is our most immediate chance to stop the massive budget increases and limit the power of ICE and CBP to attack immigrants.

RSVP now to visit your members of Congress, and MoveOn will email you all the resources needed to plan your visit.

Thanks for all you do.

–Kenia Leon, Nevada MoveOn member

P.S. Want more information on #DefundHate and tips for visiting your representatives? Watch this organizing call with leaders from United We Dream, the National Immigrant Justice Center, and me, then sign up to deliver the demands this week!

Want to support our work? The MoveOn community will work every moment, day by day and year by year, to resist Trump's agenda, contain the damage, defeat hate with love, and begin the process of swinging the nation's pendulum back toward sanity, decency, and the kind of future that we must never give up on. And to do it we need your support, now more than ever. Will you stand with MoveOn?

Click here to chip in $3, or whatever you can afford.

Contributions to MoveOn.org Civic Action are not tax deductible as charitable contributions for federal income tax purposes. This email was sent to Eddie Alfaro on September 3, 2019. To change your email address or update your contact info, click here. To remove yourself from this list, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment