Friday, December 25, 2020

A sense of relief

MoveOn members start and sign petitions every day. Learn more about how these people-powered petitions make an impact and how to start your own campaign.

Dear MoveOn member, 

I am a Muslim, immigrant, Pakistani American woman, and I felt such a profound and deep relief for myself, my family, my community, this country, and the entire world when the election results were called on November 7, 2020. I felt my body relax, as if I could finally breathe more deeply. I was awash in emotion. 

I felt a deep relief because it felt as if all the work that we had done for four years had finally paid off. 

I felt a sense of respite for all the communities that would feel a bit safer under a Biden presidency. 

I felt a sense of gratitude wash over me for all the people who voted despite so many hurdles during this difficult and arduous year. 

I felt a sense of pride because I could look at my immigrant parents and know that I fought for them and their sacrifices. 

And I felt a sense of possibility because I could finally dream and imagine the world that we can create together, instead of feeling that all we could do was reduce the harm to the communities I care about and belong to. 

These past four years have been tough, and we all saw the joy of so many as they danced in the streets that day. It was a deep exhalation of relief and a renewed sense of possibility. 

And so we must rest and relax for a bit, and also we must know that we can work together and build the world that we want. That work is far from over. 

Will you continue this work that we've started and fight for what you want this world to be? Start a petition demanding the world that you want to see. This is our time. This is what we have been fighting for.


Start a petition and advocate for Medicare for All, for the Green New Deal, for a $15 national minimum wage. Organize your community to get more school funding, pass sanctuary policies to protect immigrants, or hold the police department accountable. This is our time to set the agenda for the next four years and rebuild this country after what has been a tumultuous and difficult time for so many. 

We can dream again, we can take a deep sigh of relief, and we can show up and build a world that is equitable, just, and focused on those who need that world the most. 

Let's dream and build that world together. 

Take five minutes and start a petition on here to influence the direction of your community and country.

Thanks for all you do. 

–Isbah Raja, MoveOn Political Action

Want to support MoveOn's work? Together, our diverse and vibrant coalition elected Joe Biden and Kamala Harris. We have an opportunity to make progress, but only if we give it our all to call for bold progressive legislation to expand health care, solve the climate crisis, address systemic racism, and more. Will you chip in now to power our work?

Yes, I'll chip in $5 a month.

No, I'm sorry, I can't make a monthly donation.


PAID FOR BY MOVEON.ORG POLITICAL ACTION, http://pol.moveon.org/. Not authorized by any candidate or candidate's committee.

This email was sent to Mar Alfaro on December 25, 2020. To change your email address or update your contact info, click here. MoveOn's privacy policy was recently updated. To read our new privacy policy, click here. To remove yourself from this list, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment