Dear MoveOn member,
You did it. We did it. Yesterday, the House and Senate passed the final piece of the health care bill.1 Real health care reform for America!
This bill is far from perfect. But as Vice President Joe Biden said, it's a "big f***ing deal."
Yesterday, I asked Kat Barr, the leader of our health care campaign, to summarize everything MoveOn members did to pass health care over the last 15 months.
The actual list was way too long to print here, but check out a taste of it below:
- 2,000 rallies and vigils attended by 150,000 people (see a great highlights video here)
- Hundreds of face-to-face meetings with members of Congress
- 7,813,682 petition signatures, 595,522 phone calls, and 948,705 faxes
- 150 MoveOn Councils running powerful local campaigns in 44 states
- 50,000 small-business leaders, doctors, nurses, and other medical professionals supporting reform
- 1,124,457 (!!!) messages in one day during the Virtual March for Real Health Care Reform
- $9.4 million raised for our campaign, and $5.6 million more pledged to support progressive primary challengers
- More than 3,000 news stories about your work!
You never gave up. Not after the debate dragged on for months. Not after the Right declared health care dead. Not after corporate Democrats skewered the public option. And not after Massachusetts, when too many Democrats wanted to throw in the towel.
This is your victory.
And it gives all of us together the momentum to keep pushing for other changes America so desperately needs. This isn't just a victory for health care—it's a victory for progressives, for people-powered politics, and for the hope of future work to be done.
Feel proud. Feel energized. Feel your power. Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU for all that you do.
–Justin, Adam, Amy, Anna, Annie, Carrie, Christopher, Daniel, Danielle, Eli, Emily, Gail, Ian, Ilya, Ilyse, Joan, Jodeen, Kat, Laura, Lenore, Marika, Matt, Matthew, Melanie, Michael, Nita, Peter, Scott, Stephen, Steven, Susannah, Tim, and Wes
1. "Final Votes in Congress Cap Battle on Health Bill," The New York Times, March 25, 2010
Want to support our work? We're entirely funded by our 5 million members—no corporate contributions, no big checks from CEOs. And our tiny staff ensures that small contributions go a long way. Chip in here.
PAID FOR BY MOVEON.ORG POLITICAL ACTION, http://pol.moveon.org/. Not authorized by any candidate or candidate's committee. This email was sent to eddie alfaro on March 26, 2010. To change your email address or update your contact info, click here. To remove yourself from this list, click here.