Shouting about "ethnic cleansing." Predicting violence. Threatening impeachment—or even jail—for the president.
Republicans are going ballistic over President Obama's big immigration move. Will you chip in $3 and help us get the president's back?
Thursday night, President Obama announced that nearly 5 million parents of U.S. citizens and permanent legal residents no longer have to live in fear of deportation, and can now more fully contribute to our nation.
Here's what Republicans have to say about it:
- John Boehner's spokesperson called the president "Emperor Obama."1
- Representative Michele Bachmann expressed fears of "illiterate, foreign nationals" committing widespread voter fraud.2
- Oklahoma Senator Tom Coburn predicted the president's immigration reforms could lead to "violence."3
- Kansas Secretary of State Kris Kobach warned of "ethnic cleansing."4
- Alabama Representative Mo Brooks—who suggested earlier this summer that President Obama is waging a "war on whites"—said Obama may have committed a felony with "a five-year in-jail penalty."5
Will you pitch in $3 to help us fight back against Republican insanity and get the president's back?
But there's a big problem: Republicans aren't just trying to rile up anti-immigrant elements in their base—they're also trying to confuse ordinary Americans who support what the president is doing when they know the facts.
We're already moving ahead with a big public education campaign to defend the president's actions and set the record straight—but we need your help to pay for it.
Will you pitch in $3 to help us promote and defend President Obama's big move on immigration?
–Anna, Erica, Alejandro, Corinne, and the rest of the team
P.S. As we stand behind the president's groundbreaking executive order on immigration, we also need to keep going on the offense, to ensure President Obama has the support he needs to move a progressive agenda forward—not just on immigration, but also on the Keystone XL pipeline, net neutrality, and other crucial issues.
With your help, we can do it all.
1. "The Meltdown Begins: Boehner Responds to Immigration Action By Calling Obama a Lawless Emperor," PoliticusUSA, November 19, 2014
2. "Bachmann sees Obama helping 'illiterate' immigrants," MSNBC.com, November 20, 2014
3. "GOP senator warns of violence after immigration order," USA Today, November 20, 2014
4. "Kobach: Obama's Lawlessness Could Lead to 'Ethnic Cleansing' in America," Talking Points Memo, November 20, 2014
5. "Republican Rep. Mo Brooks Calls For President Obama to Be Sent To Prison for Five Years," PoliticusUSA, November 20, 2014
Want to support our work? MoveOn.org Civic Action is entirely funded by our 8 million members—no corporate contributions, no big checks from CEOs. And our tiny staff ensures that small contributions go a long way. Start a monthly donation here or chip in a one-time donation here.
This email was sent to eddie alfaro on November 22, 2014. To change your email address or update your contact info, click here. To remove yourself from this list, click here.