Dear MoveOn member,
We have a big decision to make together.
The MoveOn Elections Team has developed a major elections program—one of our biggest ever—to end Republican control of the House in 2018, as well as win key Senate races, help elect 100 progressive leaders in state and local elections, and build a values-driven movement for change.
And with billionaire Republican donors such as the Koch brothers already pledging $400 million toward the elections to reward Republicans in Congress for their historic transfer of wealth from working Americans to the rich and their regulatory and legislative actions to give more power to big corporations, if we're to make big gains this fall, we have to be all in starting now.1
Because MoveOn is its members, we need to make the decision on whether to move forward with this plan together. Will you read about the plans below and cast your vote on this ambitious election plan for 2018? Voting is open until 11:59 p.m. ET on Wednesday, February 7—and we'll move forward with these plans if a strong majority of members vote yes, or we'll go back to the drawing board.
Should MoveOn launch a massive Resist and Win campaign to end Republican control of the House this year?
Here are the details:
- We'll work to support 100 candidates for the U.S. House of Representatives to end Republican control of Congress—so we can expand the map, support a slate of progressive challengers, hold incumbent Republicans accountable for their votes, and put an end to attempts to repeal the Affordable Care Act, give handouts to massive corporations, and continue countless attacks on our communities.
- We'll build on the grassroots organizing tactics and technology that we developed and tested in 2017—tactics in the areas of recruitment, training, voter persuasion, mobilization, organizing, social media, mobile tools, tech, analytics, and video. For example, last year with our partners, we led a series of Ready to Resist mass mobilizing calls that regularly engaged tens of thousands of activists, and we also organized a Resistance Summer training program that supported 1,000 MoveOn members across the country as they developed powerful organizing skills. We will mobilize these members and train even more to lead this year.
- We'll run a campaign that stands shoulder-to-shoulder with the communities most-impacted by GOP attacks and policies—including Muslims, immigrants, LGBTQ folks, and people of color. These communities have been consistently used as scapegoats to mobilize Republican voters during elections. We will push back on candidates of either party who throw vulnerable communities under the bus to win elections, and we'll elevate candidates who authentically channel the voices of the diverse American electorate.
- We'll scale our innovative social media persuasion testing and delivery technology that proved effective at persuading and turning out thousands of voters in both Virginia and Alabama last year. MoveOn's tech and mobile teams developed a new peer-to-peer messaging platform, Spoke, that has already been responsible for mobilizing 60,000 grassroots actions. We will put all of these tools to work in service of our electoral objectives in 2018.
- We'll fund this work with hundreds of thousands of small-dollar contributions from MoveOn members in all 50 states, the District of Columbia, and U.S. territories. And, if necessary, we will launch a Super PAC to enable us to collect more resources to maximize the power of MoveOn members. (The Super Pac would be time-limited, we'd disclose the names of donors giving over $200 publicly to the FEC, and we'd shut it down after the close of the election.)
- We'll also endorse progressive candidates in key Senate races and support 100 diverse, dynamic, fierce down-ballot candidates to build up progressive power at the state and local level around the country.
With the massive wave of progressive energy sweeping the country, combined with an unprecedented number of Republicans retiring, we have a once-in-a-generation chance this November to fundamentally change the makeup of Congress and build a powerful bench of progressive leaders in the states—and we believe that our Resist and Win campaign will play a major role in that work and begin to shift the narrative for the type of country we want to be. But we know that the money and the opposition on the other side will be fierce, so we can't win by playing safe or thinking small.
We'll move forward only if a strong majority of votes cast by MoveOn members are in favor of the plan. Should MoveOn launch an all-hands-on-deck Resist and Win campaign to end Republican control of the House this year?
Voting is open until 11:59 p.m. ET on Wednesday, February 7—and we'll move forward with these plans if a strong majority of members vote yes, or we'll go back to the drawing board.
Thanks for all you do.
–Ilya, Shari, Emma, Elsie, and the rest of the team
Want to support our work? The MoveOn community will work every moment, day by day and year by year, to resist Trump's agenda, contain the damage, defeat hate with love, and begin the process of swinging the nation's pendulum back toward sanity, decency, and the kind of future that we must never give up on. And to do it we need your ongoing support, now more than ever. Will you stand with us?
PAID FOR BY MOVEON