Representative Carolyn McCarthy
- "The deficit has nothing to do with the debt ceiling. Our nation's debt is lower now, relative to the economy, than it was after WWII. The deficit comes from the lack of tax revenue, which comes from the lack of jobs and the lack of taxes on the wealthy. Spend to create jobs; tax the wealthy. End the wars."—Miriam S.
- "While I believe a default would be disastrous, it's absurd to see the Republicans get so much of what they want without making any legitimate concessions to the Democrats. The Tea Party cannot run this country and the only way to ensure that this doesn't happen is for Democrats to not let them. We need to stand up to Republicans and say enough is enough." —Conny M.
- Here's a detailed rundown from The Huffington Post on what exactly is in the deal.
- New York Times columnist Paul Krugman calls the deal a "catastrophe on multiple levels."
- Former Secretary of Labor Robert Reich argues "the radical right has now won a huge tactical and strategic victory."
- And for a different perspective, here's why the White House thinks it's "A Win for the Economy and Budget Discipline."
–Daniel, Elena, Tate, Eli, and the rest of the team
Want to support our work? We're entirely funded by our 5 million members—no corporate contributions, no big checks from CEOs. And our tiny staff ensures that small contributions go a long way. Chip in here.
PAID FOR BY MOVEON.ORG POLITICAL ACTION, http://pol.moveon.org/. Not authorized by any candidate or candidate's committee. This email was sent to eddie alfaro on August 1, 2011. To change your email address or update your contact info, click here. To remove yourself from this list, click here.