Dear MoveOn member,
We're getting beat and it's time to wake up.
The unlimited money ushered in by Citizens United means the right wing could outspend progressives 2 to 1 this election—and Romney's just out raised President Obama for the third straight month.1
Congressional Republicans sabotaged our economic recovery by crashing the debt ceiling and blocking every jobs measure put forward by the president. Republican governors drastically cut jobs, offsetting private sector job gains. Now Romney is blaming Obama for high unemployment.
Republicans passed Jim Crow style voter suppression laws that will disenfranchise millions of progressive voters, targeting low income folks, people of color, and the young.2
And the worst of it is—we're still asleep. Because despite all this, a Gallup Poll shows that Democrats are much less enthusiastic about voting than Republicans.3 That means we lose.
MoveOn members are 7 million strong. We have a proven record of creative, dynamic, and grassroots election campaigning. From launching the most talked about political ads to running the most inventive and effective voter contact programs, MoveOn can provide the shot in the arm that progressives need right now.
But to do that we need to double our number of "movement makers"—the members who make a regular monthly donation—from 15,000 to 30,000. Can you help join the wake up call?
In past elections MoveOn members funded one of the most covered political ads, for the least money, in history.4 We also produced one of the most effective voter contact programs ever studied.5 But with a torrent of 1% money being unleashed, we need to double the impact of our election plan:
- Showing America that Mitt Romney is running for President of the 1% through creative ads and daring actions on the ground.
- Fighting back against Republican voter suppression of the Rising American Electorate—the people of color, single women, and young people who helped elect President Obama in 2008.
- Making calls, knocking on doors, and using innovative new technology to register and turn out as many progressive voters as humanly possible.
Just imagine taking everything we can do together and doubling it. That's what our goal of reaching 30,000 movement makers is all about. For a small regular donation each month you can become a MoveOn movement maker and make that happen.No, but I can make a one-time donation.
Contributing to any cause or community of people, especially making a regular contribution, is an act of great trust and faith. Today you can place your faith in a community of 7 million fellow MoveOn members and trust that your contribution will help empower their passion, commitment, and energy.
Thanks for all you do.
–Justin, Emily, Victoria, Robin, and the rest of the team
1. "GOP groups plan record $1 billion blitz," Politico, May 30, 2012
"Romney's July fundraising outpaces Obama's," The Washington Post, August 6, 2012
2. "New Voting Restrictions May Affect More than Five Million," Brennan Center for Justice at New York University School of Law, October 3, 2011.
3. "Where's the Outrage?" The New York Times, October 3, 2011.
4. "Censored at the Super Bowl," Newsweek, January 29, 2004
5. "MoveOn and Voter Mobilization in 2004," Institution for Social and Policy Studies, 2006
Want to support our work? We're entirely funded by our 7 million members—no corporate contributions, no big checks from CEOs. And our tiny staff ensures that small contributions go a long way. Chip in here.
PAID FOR BY MOVEON.ORG POLITICAL ACTION, http://pol.moveon.org/. Not authorized by any candidate or candidate's committee. This email was sent to eddie alfaro on August 8, 2012. To change your email address or update your contact info, click here. To remove yourself from this list, click here.