Breaking news: House Speaker John Boehner has been forced to delay legislation to fast-track approval of the secretive trade deal known as the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP).1
Here's what that means: We're winning. Last Friday, Congress said no to this job-killing corporate giveaway for the first time. And today, Speaker Boehner has had to delay his own "do-over" vote—a stunning blow to the giant corporations that have been pushing this deal.
But the fight is far from over. Just hours ago, Republicans voted to give themselves six more weeks to buy, beg, and borrow enough votes to ram this through.
Can you chip in $3 so we can build off of these victories and beat back the massive corporate campaign over the next six weeks?
Fast Track was supposed to be a slam dunk for corporate America. But an unprecedented movement—of labor, environmental groups, consumer advocates, and millions of regular Americans, including hundreds of thousands of MoveOn members—defied the odds and put conventional wisdom to shame.2
MoveOn members have been organizing against Fast Track and the TPP for years. More recently, we have:
- Submitted over 100,000 signatures on petitions to protect American jobs, the environment, and consumers against this corporate power grab.
- Made tens of thousands of calls and office visits, attended rallies, and directed social media pressure at targeted members of Congress.
- Run a five-figure ad campaign calling out Senators—Republicans and Democrats—who voted for Medicare cuts to fund this bill, and putting all House members on notice.
- Produced a video about the TPP with Robert Reich—that has circumvented mainstream media and has now been seen 5 MILLION times.
But because corporate lobbyists now know what they are up against, they'll be doubling their efforts to pass this job-killing trade deal. Democrats will feel extraordinary pressure from corporate-backed ad campaigns—and, unfortunately, from the president himself. So if we want to stop this bill, we need to go all out in the next six weeks.
Can you chip in $3 so we can run more ads, join more rallies, and launch new creative actions that will kill Fast Track once and for all?
If this Fast Track bill passes, it will allow corporate powers to rush approval on trade deals that could outsource jobs, undo environmental regulations, and gut financial reforms. And Congress will raid Medicare for $700 million to pay for this insult.3
It's no wonder that Americans from all walks of life have spoken—creating so much pressure that Congress actually stopped this deal.
We have to beat this do-over—and, with your help, we will.
Will you chip in $3 to this six-week campaign?
Thanks for all you do.–Justin K., Stephen, Manny, Corinne, and the rest of the team
1. "Deadline for TAA Do-Over Vote Extended to July 30," Roll Call, June 16, 2015
2. "Labor's Might Seen in Failure of Trade Deal as Unions Allied to Thwart It," The New York Times, June 13, 2015
3. "Congress plots to pay for a trade deal by raiding Medicare," The Los Angeles Times, May 18, 2015
Want to support our work? We're entirely funded by our 8 million members—no corporate contributions, no big checks from CEOs. And our tiny staff ensures that small contributions go a long way. Start a monthly donation here or chip in a one-time donation here.
PAID FOR BY MOVEON.ORG POLITICAL ACTION, http://pol.moveon.org/. Not authorized by any candidate or candidate's committee. This email was sent to eddie alfaro on June 16, 2015. To change your email address or update your contact info, click here. To remove yourself from this list, click here.