In just two weeks, five states—Utah, Arkansas, Louisiana, New Hampshire, and Alabama—defunded Planned Parenthood.1
At least eleven states are considering similar cuts or have launched investigations to attack Planned Parenthood.2
And as soon as Congress reconvenes, anti-choice Republicans will resume pushing legislation to cut off Planned Parenthood nationwide, perhaps even threatening a government shutdown.3
This is an all-out assault on Planned Parenthood—so we've launched a major campaign to turn the tide before this vital women's health resource is completely decimated.
But since no one knew these sneak attacks were coming, we didn't budget for this fight. Will you chip in $3 to help MoveOn stand with Planned Parenthood?
Anti-choice activists have been campaigning to defund Planned Parenthood for years.
In 2011 alone, the anti-choice group Susan B. Anthony List bragged that they'd cut over $61 million in funding for Pap smears, cancer screenings, and other basic health services at Planned Parenthood.4
But since the release of those heavily edited videos recorded by anti-choice militants who are linked to clinic bombings and shootings, Planned Parenthood is under attack like never before.5
Here's our plan to fight back:
- We'll team up with Planned Parenthood for a nationwide "Pink Out" day of action in late September to get everyone wearing pink in support of Planned Parenthood.
- We'll hold pro-choice lawmakers who flip their votes against Planned Parenthood accountable with hard-hitting ads, phone calls, and protests in front of their offices.
- We'll focus attention on real Planned Parenthood patients by featuring them in Facebook ads and as petition leaders.
But all this will cost money—so if you've ever visited a Planned Parenthood, know anyone who's ever visited a Planned Parenthood, or have a child or loved one who might ever need Planned Parenthood—now's the time to stand up and fight.
Will you chip in $3 to help MoveOn stand with Planned Parenthood?
Thanks for all you do.
–Victoria, Nick, Brian, Maria, and the rest of the team
1. "Arkansas, Utah target Planned Parenthood funding," The Hill, August 14, 2015
2. "Growing List Of Planned Parenthood Investigations Hyped By Conservative Media Clears Organization Of Any Wrongdoing," Media Matters for America, August 24, 2015
3. "GOP: Planned Parenthood fight to go on," Politico, August 3, 2015
4. "State by State Scoreboard—2011," Susan B. Anthony List, accessed August 26, 2015
5. "The man behind the Planned Parenthood sting videos," Politico, August 26, 2015
Want to support our work? MoveOn member contributions have powered our work together for more than 17 years. Hundreds of thousands of people chip in each year—which is why we're able to be fiercely independent, answering to no individual, corporation, politician, or political party. You can become a monthly donor by clicking here, or chip in a one-time gift here.
PAID FOR BY MOVEON.ORG POLITICAL ACTION, http://pol.moveon.org/. Not authorized by any candidate or candidate's committee. This email was sent to eddie alfaro on August 30, 2015. To change your email address or update your contact info, click here. To remove yourself from this list, click here.