Dear MoveOn member,
This week was a hopeful week, despite the onslaught of daily news in our feeds.
That's because hundreds of MoveOn members in dozens of key Republican districts showed up strong with allied organizations and immigrant youth leaders to support a clean Dream Act—helping build grassroots pressure and momentum to pass this popular, bipartisan bill that would protect hundreds of thousands of young American immigrants from deportation.
This week of action also included a new video on the Dream Act with Robert Reich, a new video with Cristina Jiminez of United We Dream, who was just awarded the McArthur Foundation "genius grant," and a torrent of calls to key Congressional offices across the country—and we're not slowing down in this critical fight.
In more than 28 cities—from Anchorage, AK, to Texarkana, TX, to Syracuse, NY—MoveOn members and members of allied organizations showed up. Now is the time for representatives to show that they are listening and acting on their constituents' demand for a clean Dream Act—or begin facing the consequences.
Here are a just a few stories from actions around the country this week—organized by members of United We Dream, MoveOn.org, NextGen America, Daily Kos, Working Families Party, Progressive Congress Action Fund, UltraViolet, and more—showing that we can be united by our dreams, rather than divided by our fears:
- In Texarkana, TX, local TV stations covered a rally by MoveOn members and a local pastor—a DACA recipient who led the group in prayer—at an event outside of Congressman John Ratcliffe's office.1
- In Springfield, PA, MoveOn members and partner organizations earned media coverage as they rallied and delivered signatures in support for a clean Dream Act to Representative Pat Meehan.2
- In Painesville, OH, MoveOn members gathered together to deliver signatures to Congressman Dave Joyce, urging Rep. Joyce to co-sponsor the Dream Act, putting pressure on a key vote whose own Republican governor has called for Congressional action.3
Will you chip in $3 and help support our major push to make the Dream Act the law of the land?
2. "Protesters demand justice for DREAMERS," Daily Times News, October 19, 2017
3. "Dreamer Advocates Plan to Petition Congressman Dave Joyce This Week for a 'Clean Dream Act'," WKSU, October 16, 2017
4. "'We need a clean DREAM Act, and we need it now': Advocates deliver 1,000,000 signatures to Congress," Daily Kos, September, 12, 2017
Want to support our work? The MoveOn community will work every moment, day by day and year by year, to resist Trump's agenda, contain the damage, defeat hate with love, and begin the process of swinging the nation's pendulum back toward sanity, decency, and the kind of future that we must never give up on. And to do it we need your ongoing support, now more than ever. Will you stand with us?
Contributions to MoveOn.org Civic Action are not tax deductible as charitable contributions for federal income tax purposes. This email was sent to Eddie Alfaro on October 21st, 2017. To change your email address or update your contact info, click here. To remove yourself from this list, click here.