Hi, MoveOn member!
This is Robert Fox, MoveOn's Chief Operating Officer. I'm the "numbers guy" around here, and I don't write MoveOn members very often most of the year—but the truth is that you'll be hearing from me a bit more in the next couple of months as Election Day approaches, with updates on how things are going. I'm writing you today to share an important update with five key numbers.
67. When the clock strikes twelve on Friday night, we will have only 67 days left until the most important midterm elections of our lifetimes. Only 67 days to do the work in order to end GOP control of Congress and ensure that the blue wave comes to wash away Donald Trump's agenda.
100. That's the number of congressional candidates that MoveOn will be endorsing and supporting through the midterms in an effort to flip the House and infuse new bold, progressive leadership into Congress. Polling expert Nate Silver projects that control of the House will most likely be determined by the results from fewer than 10 seats, which means we have a razor-thin margin for error.1 In order to succeed, tens of thousands of MoveOn members will be volunteering, making calls, knocking on doors, and ensuring that their communities get out and vote on November 6.
Hundreds of thousands. That's the number of votes for progressive candidates we are aiming to secure using our brand-new innovative program called Real Voter Voices. This program helps constituents share why they are voting for specific candidates, and then it relies on our brilliant analytics team to help target those messages to the right voters to help ensure that they vote on Election Day. We know this program works: In early tests during the Conor Lamb and Doug Jones races, Real Voter Voices moved enough votes to have a major impact in those extremely close contests.
Millions. That is the number of voters we will be contacting in these last 67 days. Using email, text messaging, phone calls, social media, and good old-fashioned knocking on doors, MoveOn staff and members will be everywhere to make sure that voters go to the polls to kick Trump's cronies out of office.
$140,000. That's how many dollars we still have left to raise before midnight Friday to stay on pace for our grassroots fundraising goals. The truth is that we're very careful with our budgeting, and if we fall behind this month, we'll be fine in the long run. But we'll have to either send more fundraising emails than we'd like later in the election cycle or spend less on critical program work. And what I really want us to focus on right now is running our incredible programs—and winning!
Eddie, I want to make sure that our grassroots fundraising stays on pace so that we can focus on executing excellent campaign work, NOT sending you more fundraisers. That's why I'm asking for your help today to keep us on target.
I am so incredibly proud to be a part of MoveOn. Our small-but-mighty staff and millions of dedicated members are doing so much every day to stop Trump and his enablers in Congress at the ballot box, while also working as hard as possible on so many other fronts. Here are just a few more numbers for you:
- Tens of thousands of MoveOn members showed up last Sunday to attend rallies opposing the confirmation of Brett Kavanaugh—the single largest protest against a Supreme Court nominee in history. On top of that, MoveOn members and our allies are ramping up our efforts by making thousands of calls to Congress, signing petitions, and joining actions to oppose Kavanaugh during his confirmation hearings beginning next week.
- Over 380,000 MoveOn members have signed up for our rapid-response network to take action immediately if Trump fires special counsel Robert Mueller or attempts to shut down his investigation. In just the past ten days, there have been sixteen guilty verdicts related to the investigation, and it's clear that Robert Muller is closing in and Trump is getting scared. That means he could make a move to end the investigation at any moment, and we have to be ready to take to the streets in response.
- Hundreds of thousands of SMS messages are being sent to voters per day by a dedicated core of MoveOn volunteers. And that's just the beginning! We're in the process of scaling up our program to reach tens of millions of voters by Election Day. To do that, I need to approve expenses to spin up new servers, pay for programmers, and bring on two new staff to coordinate the thousands of volunteers whom we expect to sign up for this amazing program.
- MoveOn members have raised over $600,000 to help elect inspiring leaders at the state and local level—such as Stacey Abrams in Georgia and Andrew Gillum in Florida—who will not only take on Trump but will build a bench of progressive leaders up and down the ballot for years to come. Many of these inspiring candidates are also fighting back back against voter suppression—and we will have a better chance of winning the White House in 2020 with them in office.
In a normal election year, we would have shut down our issue campaigning right now and focused exclusively on elections. But this is no ordinary time.
Next Tuesday, right after Labor Day, Brett Kavanaugh's confirmation hearings begin. And it is also crunch time for our election program. I'll start off next week by making important decisions about what expenses I can approve, and knowing that we are on track will help me focus on what matters: winning.
The bottom line is: We have to walk and chew gum at the same time right now—first, by going full speed ahead on our midterm election strategy, and second, by fighting as hard as we can to stop Kavanaugh. And—on top of it all—we need to be on constant guard against other Trump surprises—including an attempt to fire Robert Mueller.
Fighting on these fronts is going to take a ton of energy, time, and, importantly, money. But it's absolutely necessary because two of our three branches of government—the courts and Congress—hang in the balance. Will you help us keep on pace?
Click here right now to chip in $3 before midnight on Friday to help me meet our goal of raising $140,000 before September 1, and help make sure I am able to approve critical expenses for all of this important work.
MoveOn is ready for this challenge. We've been preparing for it for months, planning, budgeting, and organizing in order to have the biggest impact as possible. And thanks to the generous support of grassroots supporters like you, we've already hit the ground running.
We're incredibly close to meeting our goal for this month, with $140,000 to go. Can you help put us over the finish line today?
With your help, we will start off September strong and ready to work even harder to ensure that when we all wake up on November 7, we wake up to not just a Democratically controlled Congress, but one with bold progressive lawmakers who will actually take on Trump and build an America where everyone can thrive.
With your help, we will elect inspiring leaders at the state and local level who will stand up for our communities and stop Republican efforts to steal future elections for House, Senate and the presidency through voter suppression.
And with your help, we will wake up to a president who knows his days are numbered.
Thanks for all you do.
Chief Operating Officer, MoveOn
Source:1. "Forecasting the race for the House," FiveThirtyEight, accessed August 30, 2018
Want to support our work? The MoveOn community will work every moment, day by day and year by year, to resist Trump's agenda, contain the damage, defeat hate with love, and begin the process of swinging the nation's pendulum back toward sanity, decency, and the kind of future that we must never give up on. And to do it we need your support, now more than ever. Will you stand with us?
PAID FOR BY MOVEON