Dear fellow MoveOn member,
This is former Labor Secretary Robert Reich. I am writing you to ask you to stay involved with the fight to save the Supreme Court. Confirmation hearings begin on September 4—just 23 days from now. Until the Senate casts its last vote, Brett Kavanaugh has not been confirmed, and we cannot give an inch in the fight to stop him.
Last month, I wrote MoveOn members to say that I believe there is a clear path to stopping Brett Kavanaugh's nomination to the Supreme Court and saving the Court for a generation—or longer.
And I still believe there is. It's pretty simple: A HUGE number of us need to get involved and STAY involved.
My friends, complacency is the enemy, and over the past few weeks, some of us have allowed ourselves to give up.
To win, we must keep hope alive and stay active, every single day. Hope alone is not enough. But hope that drives relentless, nonstop action can win—in spite of steep odds.
Last year, we stopped Trumpcare—again and again and again. At every turn, it looked as though we could lose. But we kept our hope alive, and we kept fighting. And we won.
More recently, a HUGE outcry helped force Trump to end his zero-tolerance policy on family separation. While too many families still remain separated, it is clear that without our actions, things would be far worse for far more families.
Our collective actions so far have made a huge difference, and I believe that the way to end this outrage once and for all is to continue to band together, get louder, and never lose hope.
On the other hand, grassroots action on Trump's tax bill at the end of 2017 was more muted, and we lost. Many folks spoke out against it, but not enough of us came together to fight, our response was not fierce enough, and it allowed the GOP to sneak through a massive tax scam that is already hurting regular folks across the country.
Here's my point: Our collective actions DO make a difference. And if enough of us speak out, loudly enough and long enough, we can win.
The right wing WANTS us to think that all hope is lost. That is how they win. The media keeps asking over and over if Democrats should even put up a fight.1 And history suggests that yes, we should!2
The truth is that Kavanaugh is the least-popular Supreme Court nominee in decades.3 And there are a number of reasons—from his opposition to abortion rights to his belief that a president can act above the law—that many people have deep reservations about him. That's why we have a chance—if we keep up the fight.
Since last month, MoveOn members have been organizing to stop Kavanaugh's nomination to the Supreme Court:
- The phones of key senators have been ringing constantly, every single day. And MoveOn data analysts are gearing up to reach out to millions of Americans, helping to flood Congress with a record-shattering number of phone calls. That effort alone, costs hundreds of thousands of dollars, and MoveOn needs your help to keep it up.
- MoveOn members have been speaking out, telling heart-wrenching personal stories about what the end of Roe v. Wade would mean or how other critical Court decisions would affect their lives. MoveOn needs more resources to spread the word.
- And the massive, on-the-ground organizing push to stop Kavanaugh's confirmation is underway. MoveOn is organizing a huge day of action with allies, including NARAL, on August 26 so that senators know that there is a massive public backlash against his outrageous nomination. MoveOn needs your help to organize this day of action.
Thanks for all you do.
1. "Democrats' long game on the Supreme Court: it might be too late to stop Kavanaugh, so what then?," Vox, July 16, 2018
2. "Should Democrats Bother Fighting Brett Kavanaugh's Confirmation? History Suggests Yes," The New Yorker, July 31, 2018
Want to support MoveOn's work? The MoveOn community will work every moment, day by day and year by year, to resist Trump's agenda, contain the damage, defeat hate with love, and begin the process of swinging the nation's pendulum back toward sanity, decency, and the kind of future that we must never give up on. And to do it we need your support, now more than ever. Will you stand with MoveOn?
PAID FOR BY MOVEON