Monday, August 13, 2018

Sign the petition: My family needs your help

Sign the petition telling ICE to stop the deportation of Salma Sikandar.

Dear MoveOn member,

My name is Samir. I'm a 17-year-old American citizen writing to you because ICE wants to deport my mom on August 23—just days before I become the first member of my family to go to college.

I'm an only child to immigrant parents who work at McDonald's and fill our home with love. They are well-known and respected in our community here in New Haven, Connecticut.

Sign the petition telling ICE to keep my mom, Salma Sikandar, home with our family.

Stop the deportation! Tell ICE to stop tearing families apart. Tell them Salma Sikandar should stay in the United States.

Homeland Security's cruel decision came as a complete shock to us all.

At a routine check-in this summer, the Department of Homeland Security put a large black electronic monitoring device on my mom and told her to check in twice a week until she's required to fly to Bangladesh. She hasn't been there in nearly two decades.1

In addition to support from our governor and members of Congress, we're so thankful for the love and support from members of our community who started a MoveOn petition to stop the deportation.

Thousands of people have already signed the petition, but we need more pressure to let ICE know that the world is watching and will not tolerate tearing families apart.

I want my mom to proudly watch her son start his first day of college. I need your help to make that wish a reality.

Sign the petition to stop the deportation of Salma Sikandar and share it with everyone you know.

Thank you.

–Samir Mahmud

Source:

1. "Officials Urge ICE To Give New Haven Mother Reprieve From Deportation," Hartford Courant, August 7, 2018
http://act.moveon.org/go/46958?t=17&akid=214042%2E10220574%2EeN49nZ

You're receiving this petition because we thought it might interest you. It was created on MoveOn.org, where anyone can start their own online petitions. You can start your own petition here.

Want to support our work? The MoveOn community will work every moment, day by day and year by year, to resist Trump's agenda, contain the damage, defeat hate with love, and begin the process of swinging the nation's pendulum back toward sanity, decency, and the kind of future that we must never give up on. And to do it we need your ongoing support, now more than ever. Will you stand with us?

Yes, I'll chip in $5 a month.

No, I'm sorry, I can't make a monthly donation.

Contributions to MoveOn.org Civic Action are not tax deductible as charitable contributions for federal income tax purposes. This email was sent to Eddie Alfaro on August 13th, 2018. To change your email address or update your contact info, click here. To remove yourself from this list, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment