Dear MoveOn member,
The evidence is undeniable: for years, Brett Kavanaugh has lied under oath in front of the Senate.
Kavanaugh lied about his role in the Bush administration's use of torture and warrantless wiretapping.1 He lied about his views on Roe v. Wade.2 He lied about using documents stolen from Democratic Senate staff to advance George W. Bush's agenda.3
Kavanaugh shouldn't be confirmed—he should be impeached.
Kavanaugh's Republican backers are hoping this scandal will just go away, but we're not going to let that happen. MoveOn members are flooding the Senate with phone calls and running newspaper ads in key states like Maine calling out Kavanaugh for lying under oath. And, thanks to the non-stop actions of millions of Americans, Kavanaugh's confirmation vote has been delayed by a week! Like on Trumpcare, each delay is a small victory. But this delay means nothing if we don't use this opportunity to sound the alarm and make our voices heard.
Will you chip in $3 to demand that Senators block Kavanaugh from a lifetime appointment on our nation's highest and most powerful court?
Even before Kavanaugh was caught lying under oath, his confirmation was in trouble, with polls showing that he's the least popular Supreme Court nominee ever.4
Now, the growing scandal about Kavanaugh's false and misleading testimony could be the tipping point that stops his nomination cold.
Kavanaugh's lies under oath go back to his original confirmation hearings as a federal judge during the Bush years:
- In 2003, Kavanaugh denied receiving emails that had been stolen from the staff of Democratic Senator Patrick Leahy. Newly released documents show that in fact Kavanaugh had the documents after all and was lying.
- In 2006, Kavanaugh testified that he knew "nothing at all" about the Bush administration's warrantless wiretapping program. Newly released emails show he was told about the policy from the beginning.
- Also in 2006, Kavanaugh stated under oath that he "was not involved" in the development of President Bush's torture policy. Again, newly released documents show he was.
- Kavanaugh twice testified that he wasn't involved in the vetting or selection of right wing judges William Pryor or Thomas Pickering. Now we have proof that he was involved in both.5
Lying under oath is a federal crime—and while it's unlikely that the Justice Department would actually bring charges in a case like this, it's clear that Judge Kavanaugh simply has no respect for the oath he took to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.
With Kavanaugh's testimony finishing up last week, the Trump administration was hoping that his confirmation would be a done deal by now. But key Republican senators like Susan Collins and Lisa Murkowski still say they are undecided—and their votes are more than enough to stop Kavanaugh.
Repeatedly lying under oath must disqualify Kavanaugh from getting a lifetime appointment to our nation's highest and most powerful court. If you agree, will you chip in $3 to help call out Kavanaugh's lies and demand the Senate vote no?
Thanks for all you do.
–Kelly, Erica, Robert, Matt, and the rest of the MoveOn Supreme Court team
P.S. In order to stop Kavanaugh's confirmation, we only need to flip two Republican votes: Senators Susan Collins and Lisa Murkowski, the same senators who voted against Trumpcare last year. Already Sen. Collins has wavered in her support after it became clear last week that Kavanaugh had lied under oath, and today's news should serve as a massive red flag to both Sens. Collins and Murkowski.
That is why we are not letting up on our efforts to stop his confirmation. We will continue:
- Driving tens of thousands of calls to Senate offices, demanding that senators listen to their constituents and vote no on Kavanaugh. Last week alone, MoveOn members made nearly 30,000 calls across the country, including hundreds to Sens. Collins and Murkowski.
- Running ads in local papers in Maine targeting Collins. We know these ads are turning up the pressure, energizing constituents in these states to take action, and keeping those senators on the ropes.
- Creating powerful videos from MoveOn's VideoLab team showing the consequences of Kavanaugh's confirmation. These videos have already racked up millions of views—and counting!
1. "Five Times Brett Kavanaugh Appears to Have Lied to Congress While Under Oath," Mother Jones, September 6, 2018
2. "Leaked email shows Brett Kavanaugh thinks Roe v. Wade could be overturned," Vox, September 6, 2018
3. "The Evidence Is Clear: Brett Kavanaugh Lied to the Senate Judiciary Committee," Slate, September 12, 2018
4. "Democrats could give Kavanaugh the Bork treatment, and he'd probably still be confirmed," CNN, September 6, 2018
Are you ready to help power a blue wave? MoveOn is in the middle of the largest midterm elections campaign in our 20-year history to end GOP control of Congress this November and build a country that we can all be proud of. We will reach out to millions of voters before Election Day, volunteer in massive numbers, organize, and win. With less than two months left until Election Day, we need your help—now more than ever. Will you stand with us?
PAID FOR BY MOVEON