Dear MoveOn member,
On Sunday, while 14,000 people attended 500 community meetings in 40 states to plan local resistance to Trump's attacks on our communities, Republicans were running for cover—literally.
In Colorado, Representative Mike Coffman literally ran out the back door of a listening session when confronted by constituents about why he was taking away their health care.1
This is how we build power and win, even when the odds seem stacked against us.
Already, dozens of MoveOn members have stepped up to host a rally at their senator's local office next Tuesday, January 24 to demand Republican senators reject Trump's #SwampCabinet—and to demand Democratic senators use every tool in their toolbox to stop these dangerous nominees.
Here's Senators Chuck Schumer's and Kirsten Gillibrand's office we found closest to you:
780 Third Ave.
New York, NY 10017
We'll provide materials and training, support you in planning an agenda, and help you spread the word by recruiting other local MoveOn members to join you. And you'll meet other local volunteers doing great work in their communities and sharing tips. If that sounds good, sign up to host an office visit now!
Donald Trump riled up crowds claiming he'd "drain the swamp" and chase corruption out of Washington. But so far his politics have only furthered a culture of corruption, and nowhere is that clearer than in the greed and hate embodied by the nominees to his Swamp Cabinet. No wonder the Republicans are rushing them through and hoping the American people don't get a good look at these nominees, who have built their own power and wealth at the expense of the rest of us.
Here are just three of the #SwampCabinet nominees MoveOn members are opposing:
- Jeff Sessions, attorney general nominee, known for long hostility toward racial equality, voting rights, and criminal justice,2
- Rex Tillerson, secretary of state nominee, a billionaire oil tycoon and longtime head of Exxon Mobil who has stymied action on climate change, and recipient of the Order of Friendship from Russian President Vladimir Putin;3
- Tom Price, secretary of Health and Human Services nominee, a leading opponent of Obamacare who is under fire for trading hundreds of thousands of dollars in shares of health industry stock while pushing legislation that would benefit those stocks and himself.4
And these are only a few of Trump's the Swamp Cabinet nominees. Democrats and Republicans alike need to hear from us before this parade of greed and hate is confirmed to a Cabinet that will attack working people, civil liberties, and the environment, while benefiting corporations and fellow billionaires.
Democrats have succeeded in slowing down some of the Swamp Cabinet nomination hearings, but so far, they haven't used every tool in their toolbox to delay or stop Trump's nominees. They could pledge to run down the clock during upcoming floor votes; with inauguration day this Friday, every extra day they spend on Cabinet hearings and votes is another day that the Republican-controlled Senate is denied the ability to press their other dangerous priorities.
We need to ensure that every Democratic senator is holding the line and that a few Republicans find reason to oppose, and we can do that by showing up in numbers at their offices, earning local media, and making sure our voices are heard. There's no time to waste! Whether this is your first rally or your 50th, sign up to host a Stop Trump's Swamp Cabinet rally at your senator's local office next Tuesday.
Thanks for all you do.
—Chris, Vicki, Gabby, Katie, and the rest of the team
P.S. After Sunday's 500 inspiring community meetings, volunteers jumped right into action! Nancy B. in Bend, Oregon, shared this: "A rally came out of one of the Bend ResistTrump meetings AND it was picked up by the press!" MoveOn members and allies greeted Republican representative Greg Walden as he visited a pharmaceutical company Monday, with signs reading "Don't Take My Care."5 Be like Nancy and host your own local rally next Tuesday. Click here to register your event and we'll support you every step of the way.
1. "Colorado rep's departure agitates constituents at Obamacare meeting: reports," The Hill, January 15, 2017
2. “10 things to know about Sen. Jeff Sessions, Donald Trump’s pick for attorney general," The Washington Post, January 10, 2017
3. “Who is Rex Tillerson, the ExxonMobil chairman who may become secretary of state?”, The Washington Post, December 13, 2016
4. "Pelosi calls for ethics probe into HHS pick Tom Price," The Hill, January 6, 2017
5. "Bend protesters greet Walden at start of Central Oregon visit," KTVZ.com, January 16, 2017
Want to support our work? The MoveOn community will work every moment, day by day and year by year, to resist Trump's agenda, contain the damage, defeat hate with love, and begin the process of swinging the nation's pendulum back toward sanity, decency, and the kind of future that we must never give up on. And to do it we need your ongoing support, now more than ever. Will you stand with us?
Contributions to MoveOn.org Civic Action are not tax deductible as charitable contributions for federal income tax purposes. This email was sent to Eddie Alfaro on January 17th, 2017. To change your email address or update your contact info, click here. To remove yourself from this list, click here.