Dear MoveOn member,
At midnight on Saturday, Missouri could become the first state without access to legal abortion since the Roe v. Wade ruling in 1973.1
The right-wing crusade to end access to legal abortion in America is moving like wildfire, as red states take increasingly extreme actions. And this battle will likely end up in the Supreme Court, which for the first time in 45 years, now has a majority of justices opposed to safe, legal abortion.
Missouri is poised this week to revoke the license for the last remaining health clinic that provides abortions in the state.2 Last week, Missouri's governor signed into law a bill banning abortions at eight weeks of pregnancy—and without exceptions in cases of rape or incest.3 It's terrifying to think what pregnant people in Missouri are going to be put through as early as next week, and what the devastating consequences could be if they are forced into unsafe back alley procedures.
Eddie, if ever there was a time to come together to fight back, it's now. We have no time to lose because it's all happening so fast. And we simply cannot turn back the clock 45 years on reproductive liberty and equality.
That's why MoveOn is launching a big, new campaign to protect safe, legal abortion and save Roe.
Missouri is one of six states with only one abortion clinic remaining.4 For two decades, the right-wing strategy has been to chip away at access to abortion, putting in place onerous and medically unnecessary requirements—from waiting periods to down-to-the-inch dimensions for exam rooms, hallways, and janitor closets.5
But now, with Brett Kavanaugh on the Supreme Court, the right-wing strategy has changed to trying to end legal abortion entirely, and the speed at which red states have taken action is breathtaking—from Missouri about to revoke its last clinic's license to Alabama banning all abortion in the state and Ohio even criminalizing those who leave the state to access abortion where it is still legal.
No longer do conservatives want to chip away at abortion rights; now, they are threatening to end access to legal abortion everywhere they can.
This is not a drill. It's a fight for our lives and equality. And we all need to be a part of this fight. That's why MoveOn is launching a big, new campaign to bring our grassroots firepower, media bullhorn, and tech chops to the fight to preserve safe, legal abortion.
Here are just some of the ideas we are considering as next steps in this critical, life-or-death fight:
- Putting pressure on John Roberts, the Supreme Court swing vote, to ensure he does not vote to uphold these bans. Research has shown that Roberts responds to public pressure and is concerned about the court's public image, which means that a pressure campaign could work to swing his vote when these bans eventually make their way to the Supreme Court.
- Electoralizing the issue. Again, 79% of Americans believe that abortion should be safe and legal—a huge majority that will be galvanized to vote against the Republicans who have pushed these bans in states across the country and have opened the door for the end of Roe. And we must make sure that all Democratic candidates make choice and reproductive justice central to their campaigns.
- Demanding accountability from corporations. Many massive, multinational corporations have given campaign contributions to the state legislators waging this war on abortion access. By raising public demand for the corporations to immediately cease their giving, we can land a major blow to these politicians.
- Fighting in the states. Currently, only 10 states have laws on the books that will protect abortion access if Roe is overturned.6 We need to push more state legislatures to pass laws protecting abortion access now, and we must fight to stop any additional bans working their way through state governments. Additionally, we must push to elect pro-choice state legislators in this year's elections to add additional safeguards to abortion access at the state level.
With your help, we will continue working with partners to fight back in the states and in Washington, D.C., continue directing resources to groups on the ground that are providing abortions in impacted states, and use our reach to lift up the stories of those impacted by these draconian laws.
Thanks for all you do.
–Emma, Chris, Robert, Anna, and the rest of the team
1. "Missouri's Last Abortion Clinic Could Stop Providing the Procedure This Week," The New York Times, May 28, 2019
3. "Missouri Governor Signs Ban On Abortion After 8 Weeks Of Pregnancy," NPR, May 24, 2019
4. "These 6 states have only 1 abortion clinic left. Missouri could become the first with zero," CNN, May 29, 2019
5. "Targeted Regulation of Abortion Providers," Guttmacher Institute, May 1, 2019
6. "Abortion Policy in the Absence of Roe," Guttmacher Institute, May 21, 2019
Want to support our work? The MoveOn community will work every moment, day by day and year by year, to resist Trump's agenda, contain the damage, defeat hate with love, and begin the process of swinging the nation's pendulum back toward sanity, decency, and the kind of future that we must never give up on. And to do it we need your support, now more than ever. Will you stand with us?
PAID FOR BY MOVEON