Dear MoveOn member,
If there's anything we've learned since President Obama took office, it's that not all Democrats are created equal.
While too many Democrats have sided with corporate lobbyists to block the president's agenda, other progressives have stood strong and led the fight for real change in Washington.
Now, some of our best progressive heroes are at risk of losing their seats—people like Barbara Boxer, Russ Feingold, Alan Grayson, and Tom Perriello. And no matter what else happens this election, we can't afford to lose their voices in Congress.
So as part of our big plan to stop the takeover, we'll focus special attention on saving our Progressive Heroes. We'll expose the corporate money behind their right-wing opponents, run carefully targeted ads, and turn out every last volunteer to help get out the vote.
That's a tall order, but we can win these races if we devote enough resources to them. So we need at least 3 more people from Inwood to donate today. Can you chip in $5?
Our list of Progressive Heroes includes the two candidates—Sen. Boxer and Rep. Grayson—who received the most nominations from MoveOn members in our survey, as well as two other progressives in key races. Each is a bold champion who supported our Fight Washington Corruption pledge campaign and each is in a truly close race where MoveOn members' involvement could make the difference. Here's what MoveOn members had to say about them:
- Sen. Barbara Boxer in California: "A proven progressive fighter, unafraid to take on corporations (or anyone or anything else)—and her opponent is a right-wing extremist who would be destructive to every progressive policy Boxer champions."1
- Sen. Russ Feingold in Wisconsin: "The strongest, most longstanding voice of progressivism in the Senate. If we lose his seat, our caucus becomes much weaker without his bravery and willingness to do what's right regardless of whether it's popular."2
- Rep. Alan Grayson in Florida: "The bravest person in Congress. I wish others had his vision and backbone." And: "He is not afraid and says what we wish ALL Democrats would say."3
- Rep. Tom Perriello in Virginia: "A bold voice for progressive causes in a district formerly represented by a far right-winger."4
But to ramp up our efforts to defend these heroes who've stood with us, we need to raise an additional $170,000 for our Stop the Takeover campaign today. Click here to chip in:
Thanks for all you do.
–Adam, Marika, Michael, Jeff, and the rest of the team
P.S. Here's some great news: Last night in New Hampshire, MoveOn-endorsed Ann McLane Kuster won big over a corporate Democrat in the congressional primary. We'll keep fighting to elect her in November.
Quotes from MoveOn members:
1. Larry R. from Rancho Santa, CA
2. Ari L. from New York, NY
3. Charles K. from Vienna, VA and Mieke P. from San Jose, CA
4. Matthew B. from Washington, DC
PAID FOR BY MOVEON.ORG POLITICAL ACTION, http://pol.moveon.org/. Not authorized by any candidate or candidate's committee. This email was sent to eddie alfaro on September 15, 2010. To change your email address or update your contact info, click here. To remove yourself from this list, click here.