Five states have defunded Planned Parenthood in just the last month, and Congress is voting TOMORROW on legislation to cut their funding nationwide.1
If you watched last night's Republican debate, you know these people are hell-bent on defunding Planned Parenthood—even if it means shutting down the government.
The good news is that Planned Parenthood is still overwhelmingly popular with voters.2 So we're launching an emergency campaign to make sure members of Congress are hearing from real people in their home districts.
But these attacks came out of the blue, and we didn't budget for this fight. Will you chip in $3?
In July, we helped stop anti-choice Republicans in the Senate from eliminating funding for Planned Parenthood. We collected more than a quarter-million petition signatures, flooded Senate offices with 10,000 phone calls, and ran ads on Facebook highlighting how Planned Parenthood has helped individual MoveOn members.
To win this fight, we'll show that attacking Planned Parenthood is a political loser and will cause vulnerable Republican senators and representatives running for re-election next year to lose support among women. We know it will work because Planned Parenthood is enormously popular. The Republican war on women is a big reason why Todd Akin and Mitt Romney lost their elections in 2012.
Here's our plan:
- We'll partner with Planned Parenthood on a national day of action this month and work with their staff and MoveOn members to hold protests outside the offices of vulnerable Republicans and members who are on the fence.
- We'll target those same Republicans with a flood of phone calls and actions on social media.
- We'll deliver hundreds of thousands of signatures demanding that Republicans stop the attacks.
- We'll expose the attacks on Planned Parenthood for what they are: propaganda designed to close down health clinics and ban abortion.
This is a critical moment in the fight for Planned Parenthood and women's health and rights—and we must win. Will you chip in $3 to join MoveOn as we fight to save Planned Parenthood?
Thanks for all you do.
–Victoria, Maria, Stephen, Ben W., and the rest of the team
1. "Arkansas, Utah target Planned Parenthood funding," The Hill, August 14, 2015
2. "Most Americans Don't Want To Defund Planned Parenthood," ThinkProgress, August 19, 2015
Want to support our work? MoveOn member contributions have powered our work together for more than 17 years. Hundreds of thousands of people chip in each year—which is why we're able to be fiercely independent, answering to no individual, corporation, politician, or political party. You can become a monthly donor by clicking here, or chip in a one-time gift here.
PAID FOR BY MOVEON.ORG POLITICAL ACTION, http://pol.moveon.org/. Not authorized by any candidate or candidate's committee. This email was sent to eddie alfaro on September 17, 2015. To change your email address or update your contact info, click here. To remove yourself from this list, click here.