A massive wave of anti-Muslim hysteria is sweeping through Congress—and, frighteningly, across America.
Here's the most urgent threat: A bill that would effectively end America's program of welcoming refugee families from Syria and Iraq passed the House of Representatives before Thanksgiving with enough votes to override President Obama's threatened veto.1
Now, the Senate is expected to vote on the bill this WEDNESDAY—and if we lose like we did in the House, President Obama could be forced to close the door to ALL families seeking refuge from violence.
We can't let that happen. Will you chip in $3?
The anti-refugee backlash is a result of fear and bigotry shamelessly whipped up by politicians like Donald Trump, and a chorus of Republican governors who say they will refuse to accept refugees in their states.2
But even some Democrats are being swept up in it. In the House, 47 Democrats joined Republicans and voted to block the refugee resettlement program.3
We've been firing on all cylinders for the past few weeks. And we still need to raise at least $100,000 more to fight this anti-refugee bill in the Senate. With your help, we'll lift up the voices of refugee families, organize protests targeting key senators, and generate thousands of calls to Senate offices.
Will you chip in $3 to help save the Syrian refugee program? Since the start of the Syrian civil war, more than 4 million refugees have fled the country.
Yet so far, the U.S. has accepted fewer than 2,000 refugees.4 The vast majority of them have been women, children, and the elderly.5 And not one terrorist attack has been committed in America by a refugee.6
Now President Obama is proposing to increase the number of refugees to 10,000, still a tiny fraction of the number needing help.7
This is the very least we can do to respond to one of the greatest humanitarian crises the world has seen in decades. Even France—in the aftermath of the horrific Paris attacks—will honor its commitment to take in 30,000 refugees.8
The world is watching. Will you chip in $3?
Thanks for all you do.
–Ben, Robert, Alejandro, Joan, and the rest of the team
1. "House passes bill that could limit Syrian refugees," CNN, November 19, 2015
2. "Trump Says He Would Ban Syrian Refugees From Entering US," ABC News, November 17, 2015
"30 Governors Call For Halt To U.S. Resettlement Of Syrian Refugees," National Public Radio, November 17, 2015
3. "Here's A List Of The Democrats Who Voted To Shut The Door On Syrian Refugees," The Huffington Post, November 19, 2015
4. "These charts put the US response to Syrian refugees in context: it's pitifully small," Vox, November 18, 2015
5. "Stretching Facts on Syrian Refugees," FactCheck.org, September 15, 2015
6. "Can Terrorists Really Infiltrate the Syrian Refugee Program?" The Atlantic, November 18, 2015
7. "Obama Increases Number of Syrian Refugees for U.S. Resettlement to 10,000," The New York Times, September 10, 2015
8. "France says it will take 30,000 Syrian refugees, while U.S. Republicans would turn them away," The Washington Post, November 18, 2015
Want to support our work? MoveOn member contributions have powered our work together for more than 17 years. Hundreds of thousands of people chip in each year—which is why we're able to be fiercely independent, answering to no individual, corporation, politician, or political party. You can become a monthly donor by clicking here, or chip in a one-time gift here.
This email was sent to eddie alfaro on November 29, 2015. To change your email address or update your contact info, click here. To remove yourself from this list, click here.