Thursday, December 27, 2018

MoveOn, gone?

This is Senator Kamala Harris from California. I am asking you to join me for a moment to imagine what America would be like if there was no MoveOn.

Hi, MoveOn member,

This is Senator Kamala Harris from California. I am asking you to join me for a moment to imagine what America would be like if there was no MoveOn.

No MoveOn helping lead the fight every step of the way and organizing huge days of action to oppose Donald Trump's dangerous agenda.

No MoveOn to help activists make hundreds of thousands of phone calls to Congress to save the Affordable Care Act.

No MoveOn to help to win the biggest midterm election victory since 1974 by recruiting thousands of volunteers, sending millions of text messages to swing voters, and developing new innovations (including some that were five times as effective, dollar for dollar, as television ads).

A world without MoveOn is truly frightening, right?

I can't imagine it. Fortunately, I don't have to—and you don't have to, either! But only if we all help keep MoveOn strong.

With just four days left before 2019, MoveOn still needs just 1,200 people to sign up as new weekly donors. That's why I'm writing to you today with a simple request:

Eddie, if you can't imagine a world without MoveOn—because you see what MoveOn does every single day to fight for our shared values—will you please chip in a few bucks a week to help keep MoveOn strong and fighting in the new year? ($3, or whatever you can afford, will go a long way.)

Yes, Senator Harris! I'll make a weekly donation and help keep MoveOn strong and fighting in 2019.

No, I'm sorry, I can't chip in weekly.

As we enter what will likely be the most important two political years of our lifetimes for setting the future direction of our country, I believe that MoveOn is needed more than ever. MoveOn and its members are always there fighting on the front lines. And, in these especially tough times, when what we do really counts, I am heartened to know that. 

Earlier this year, I partnered with MoveOn members to stop Trump's family separation policy. Your record-shattering protests, with hundreds of thousands of people in attendance, forced Trump to end his inhumane policy on family separation. While too many families still remain separated, and there is so much more to do, I know that without MoveOn, things would be far worse for far more families. I am so thankful for what this community has done to, quite literally, save lives.

This past election cycle, I partnered with MoveOn members to win back control of the House of Representatives and put a real check on the worst abuses of the Trump administration. As I travelled across the country, I saw the incredible work that MoveOn members did to elect inspiring progressive champions. You helped send a new generation of progressive leaders to Congress! MoveOn members played a huge role in this victory, and you should be incredibly proud.

But we cannot stop now. There is still so much to do: As you read this message, unaccompanied children are held in detention centers, California families who have tragically lost everything in wildfires are still waiting for help, and, because of Trump's belligerent government shutdown, hundreds of thousands of federal workers are unsure if, or when, they will be paid. Workers like Bonita Williams, a janitor at the State Department, who was planning to buy her grandchildren a bike for Christmas; instead, she's worried about paying her rent and electricity and being able to stay in her home.

Looking to 2019, I'm resolved to fight for all of these folks and for our country's collective future. To move this country forward, we absolutely must win back the White House in 2020. And we absolutely must make progress on infrastructure, health care, climate change, and more.

I believe that to accomplish these things, we need a powerful MoveOn. I have been proud to stand with this community in some of the most important fights of our lifetimes. And now, I'm asking you, Eddie: Will you chip in $3 a week to help keep MoveOn strong in 2019?

Yes, I'll chip in weekly and help keep MoveOn strong and fighting in 2019.

No, I'm sorry, I can't chip in weekly.

Thanks for all you do.

–Senator Kamala Harris


PAID FOR BY MOVEON.ORG POLITICAL ACTION, http://pol.moveon.org/. Not authorized by any candidate or candidate's committee.

This email was sent to Eddie Alfaro on December 28th, 2018. To change your email address or update your contact info, click here. To remove yourself from this list, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment