Dear MoveOn member,
Breaking news: MoveOn members just voted 71% to 29% to launch a major campaign to show that our country rejects Donald Trump's hate-baiting, racism, misogyny, and violence.
Will you chip in to help jump-start this campaign?
This is an unusual campaign—going after the leading Republican before the nominations on the Democratic or Republican sides have been decided. But, if we wait until the fall, it may be too late, and Trump may have succeeded in redefining himself in the eyes of the media. We can't afford to let that happen.
Donald Trump is not just your typical right-wing Republican. He represents something fundamentally dangerous for democracy—something we haven't seen in years, since the days of George Wallace and Joe McCarthy.
He's attacked entire ethnic and religious groups, calling them rapists and murderers.1 He's threatened violence if he doesn't get his way at the Republican National Convention.2 He's attacked freedom of the press, and his campaign manager was just charged with battery against a reporter.3,4
That's why it's not enough for him to lose. He needs to be unequivocally rejected by the American people so that he and his hateful brand of politics are buried in the dustbin of history. Will you chip in to help launch MoveOn's campaign to defeat Donald Trump and his politics of hatred and incitement to violence?
Already, MoveOn members have been gathering at peaceful demonstrations to stand against Trump's hate.
And earlier this month, MoveOn's executive directors joined a group of civil rights, women's rights, labor, environmental, and other progressive leaders—including supporters of both Hillary Clinton and Bernie Sanders—to oppose Trump’s hate-baiting and incitements to violence.
Your donation will allow us to take our campaign to the next level, including:
- Reaching and mobilizing new voters with state-of-the-art voter outreach and get-out-the-vote strategies;
- Supporting Muslim Americans, immigrants, women, and others who have been targeted by Trump-inspired violence, including teaming up with local leaders for nonviolent and creative demonstrations carrying the message that "Love trumps hate";
- Working with artists and public figures to loudly rebuke Trump's hateful stances through shareable digital content, creative ads, and other public expression;
- Holding accountable corporations, politicians, media figures, and anyone who legitimizes Trump's hate-mongering, violence, racism, and misogyny.
This is a gut check for American democracy. We must step up to the moment and show the world that we are better than this. Will you chip in?
Tens of thousands of MoveOn members wrote in with stories, sharing the reasons they voted for MoveOn to take on Trump's hate. Here are a few:
- "Even the slight possibility that Trump could win the election is scary enough to pull out all the stops." —Jim M., Providence, RI
- "Trump's rhetoric is leading to an escalation of violence at not only his rallies, but also in America in general. We must speak out against hatred at every opportunity." —Amber L., Allendale, MI
- "Because he will be a detriment to our economy, racial harmony, and a security risk to our country. As a Navy Veteran and mother of three racially diverse daughters, I am committed, like many, to help keep him out of the White House. He's not just a misogynist and bigot, he's going to cause World War 3, in my opinion." —Rubi W., Virginia Beach, VA
- "I'm an American Muslim teenager who recently got a full ride scholarship to study at MIT. I shouldn't have to worry about my parents being deported back to their home country. I should not have to worry about registering by force of the government. I should not have to worry about fleeing my home." —Jeba S., Laveen, AZ
- "Trump is probably one of the most dangerous things that could happen to this country in my lifetime (I am 28). If just his campaign alone can divide the country and already incite violence, I don't want to wait and find out what atrocities he would bring about as president. I also think, regardless, it is needed in this time to stand in solidarity with Muslims, people of color, and all the people that Trump is trying to oppress." —Guy S., San Francisco, CA
- "Clearly, ignoring him until he goes away isn't going to work, as Trump's campaign keeps rolling on like a snowball going downhill! It's time to push back before the avalanche of his ever-growing support smothers us all." —Kris H., Philadelphia, PA
Will you chip in?
Thanks for all you do.
–Victoria, Ilya, Milan, Hannah, and the rest of the team
P.S. As part of the vote, we said we'll explore starting a Super PAC to allow us to have the funds needed to run ads, hire organizers, reach millions of voters, and more, that would be used only for the general election. We'll keep every MoveOn member posted if we move in that direction. But MoveOn depends on members like you to fund this work. Can you pitch in to fund this campaign?
1. "9 Outrageous Things Donald Trump Has Said About Latinos," The Huffington Post, August 31, 2015
2. "Donald Trump just threatened more violence. Only this time, it’s directed at the GOP." The Washington Post, March 16, 2016
3. "Donald Trump: We're going to 'open up' libel laws," Politico, February 26, 2016
4. "Trump campaign manager charged with simple battery," CNN, March 30, 2016
Want to support our work? MoveOn member contributions have powered our work together for more than 17 years. Hundreds of thousands of people chip in each year—which is why we're able to be fiercely independent, answering to no individual, corporation, politician, or political party. You can become a monthly donor by clicking here, or chip in a one-time gift here.
PAID FOR BY MOVEON