Dear MoveOn member,
The unthinkable is happening: Donald Trump is surging in major new national polls out this past week.1,2,3
Now that he's the presumptive GOP nominee, Trump is polling within the margin of error—or even ahead—in match-ups against Bernie Sanders and Hillary Clinton. Their once substantial leads over Trump are gone.
We simply cannot indulge in the fantasy that Democrats have this election in the bag.
MoveOn has been preparing a three-pronged plan to make sure Trump never gets anywhere close to the nuclear codes. But these polls are telling us that we urgently need to speed up the timeline. Can you chip in $3 to accelerate the fight against Trump before he locks in a lead in the polls?
Remember the Republican primary, when the political data analyst Nate Silver gave Trump a 2% chance of winning the nomination?4
Let’s make a collective promise to ourselves: no more déjà vu. We need to stop underestimating Trump.
We’ve got the right strategy (more on that below). We know that we’re united as a MoveOn community against Trump: In an all-member vote this April, 71% voted to launch a major campaign to show that America rejects Trump’s racism, misogyny, and violence, while continuing our work to support Bernie Sanders in the primaries and caucuses. And members made that commitment even before Trump locked up the primary—since then, the commitment of MoveOn members has only grown stronger.
The question now is whether we’ll have the resources to hit full speed ASAP in the anti-Trump campaign. Can you chip in?
What’s the plan to beat Trump? It’s a 1-2-3 punch:
- Wake everybody up. If progressives snooze, we’ll lose. MoveOn is reaching out to celebrities and other high-profile people of every sort to engage them in a campaign to reach every progressive in America and convince them that Trump may win this election. Our first video, featuring Van Jones, has already been viewed 1.3 million times. We’ve got to ramp this up until nobody on our side wrongly believes this election will be a cakewalk.
- Persuade the conflicted middle. For millions of Americans, some aspects of Trump are repellent—but some are appealing. These voters aren’t centrists, they’re conflicted. We need to reach them where they are. We’ve begun an intensive research operation to figure out, for folks on the fence, exactly what ideas will pull them back from supporting Trump. Next up: a massive cultural campaign to ensure they hear the best messages from the right messengers.
- Organize, organize, organize—leaving no voter behind. Political scientists talk about the “rising American electorate”: people of color, unmarried women, and millennials, who together will make up a majority of voters in 2016. Well, a lot of people on the right are determined to keep this electorate from rising. We won’t let them. We’re going to build a massive grassroots organizing program to turn out these and other anti-Trump voters, aiming to win—and to win big enough that we not only beat Trump, but we also beat Trump's hateful rhetoric. We have to make it crystal clear that stoking hate is not a viable strategy in American politics.
You might be thinking, “Great! But we need to get started on this yesterday.”
Fortunately, we did. Months ago, in fact. But we’ve still got to accelerate the timetable—because even though we told ourselves not to underestimate Trump, we didn’t think he’d move this far this fast.
Can you chip in to help us supercharge the anti-Trump campaign?
This fight is about more than winning an election. It’s about defining the kind of country we want to be.
Already in America, we’re hearing stories about Muslim children waking up scared, terrified that Trump will win and kick them and their families out of the country—or worse.5 Kids of all religions are seeing someone powerful on TV saying that this country is not for everyone, hurling insults, supporting violence, and bullying adults into submission.
We can’t wait any longer. This isn’t politics. This is about being able to tell future generations that when our nation's soul was on the line, we wasted no time and spared no effort.
Thanks for all you do.
—Ben W., Maria, Scott, Hannah, and the rest of the team
1. "Poll: Election 2016 shapes up as a contest of negatives," The Washington Post, May 21, 2016
2. “Fox News Poll: 2016 national release May 18,” Fox News, May 18, 2016
3. "Exclusive: Trump surges in support, almost even with Clinton in national U.S. poll," Reuters, May 11, 2016
4. “Donald Trump’s Six Stages of Doom,” FiveThirtyEight, August 6, 2015
5. "Muslim child's fear: 'Is Trump going to exile us?'" Chicago Tribune, March 3, 2016
Want to support our work? MoveOn member contributions have powered our work together for more than 17 years. Hundreds of thousands of people chip in each year—which is why we're able to be fiercely independent, answering to no individual, corporation, politician, or political party. You can become a monthly donor by clicking here, or chip in a one-time gift here.
PAID FOR BY MOVEON