Dear MoveOn member,
We are all grieving the election of Donald Trump in our own way.
Shock, denial, anger, bargaining, and depression—each stage is important to the healing process.
But the final stage of grief in this case isn't acceptance—it's organizing.
We have no time to waste. As one of his first staffing decisions, Donald Trump chose Steve Bannon, a white supremacist, to serve as his chief strategist and senior counsel in the White House.1 And that was only the start of a series of atrocious and dangerous policy proposals and announcements of key appointees.
Defending ourselves and our fellow Americans—including the up to 3 million immigrants Trump has now promised to deport—and protecting our democracy from a Trump presidency is the most important mission in MoveOn's history.2 And to do it, we're going to need you more than ever.
Will you chip in $5 a month to help the long-haul effort to stop Donald Trump and a GOP-controlled Congress from tearing our people and country apart?
We’re putting plans into place now to:
- Organize and support peaceful community actions across the country—the first of which we organized with partners last week in cities and towns across America—to show Trump that we aren't going to go quietly into the night and that he can expect passionate opposition from progressives at every turn.
- Speak up and stand together across the communities who are going to be hit hardest by a Trump administration. We intend to do everything we can to work together to stop hate crimes and the devastating policy proposals that we know Trump intends to advance—such as banning Muslim refugees, tearing immigrant families apart through deportation, and overturning Roe v. Wade.
- Organize and build relationships within the new Congress to block Trump from advancing his agenda—which includes taking health care away from millions of Americans by repealing Obamacare—and do everything we can to prevent his most radical appointments from taking positions of power, starting with white supremacist Bannon.
- Build our capacity—rather than ramp down and cut expenses after a big election push, as many organizations do. This is a time to ramp up—and FAST.
Can we count on you to stand with us as we work day after day, month after month to stop Donald Trump and his disastrous administration from destroying our country?
Remember: We won the popular vote. A majority of Americans agree with the progressive values we share. That's important.
Even as we grieve and contend with what the next four years are going to look like, we have the power to control our destiny and fight together.
Our jobs are important. The work starts now. If you're ready, let's go.
Thanks for all you do.
—Anna, Robert, Josh, Victoria, and the rest of the team
1. “Major newspapers normalize Trump’s selection of white nationalist as chief strategist,” Think Progress, November 16, 2016
2. "Donald Trump plans to immediately deport 2 million to 3 million undocumented immigrants," The Washington Post, November 14, 2016
Want to support our work? The MoveOn community will work every moment, day by day and year by year, to resist Trump's agenda, contain the damage, defeat hate with love, and begin the process of swinging the nation's pendulum back toward sanity, decency, and the kind of future that we must never give up on. And to do it we need your ongoing support, now more than ever. Will you stand with us?