Dear MoveOn member,
Two years ago, Bernie Sanders had a bill to create a Medicare for All, single payer health care bill. It was supported by exactly zero other U.S. Senators.
This week, he re-introduced the bill, and one-third of the Democratic caucus is on board—including virtually every senator thought to be planning a run for president in 2020.
And it isn't just liberal Democrats from deep blue states getting on board. Joe Manchin of West Virginia—a state Donald Trump carried by 42 points—says it should be explored as well. Joe Manchin! The Democrat who once shot a bullet through a global warming bill in a campaign ad!
There's never been this much momentum for single payer, and we need to keep it going. Will you chip in $3 to help mobilize the grassroots support we need to make single payer a reality?
When President Obama was elected and started working on health care reform, single payer was dismissed as a pipe dream. That's why today's Bloomberg News headline reads: "Bernie Sanders is changing the Democratic Party."1
But while we've made huge progress, some Democrats remain hesitant. We need to show those senators that there's support for Medicare for All in their states as well and that the American people are ready to finally get the profit out of our health care system.
So here's the plan:
- Building support from lawmakers. We'll advocate for Democratic senators and representatives—and even Republicans—to co-sponsor Bernie's Medicare for All bill or offer their own bills that guarantee health care as a fundamental right. Already, more than 100,000 MoveOn members have lent their support to Bernie's effort, and thousands made Senate phone lines ring off the hook, thanking progressive champs and encouraging the hold-outs to act.
- Educating the public about Medicare for All. We'll do this with our in-house Video Lab team that has already produced videos on this issue that have been viewed millions of times, and through our spokespeople on cable television and MoveOn members who can talk to their own communities about this bill.
- Ensuring that universal health care for all is a top electoral issue. In the 2018 midterms, we will hold Republicans accountable for trying to take away health care from tens of millions of Americans; and in the lead up to 2020, we will push all candidates for Congress and the presidency to offer their own programs for quality coverage for every American.
- Taking back the House in 2018—and the Senate and the White House in 2020. Simply capitalizing on outrage isn't enough; we must show that we can win with a positive agenda that has health care for all at its core.
- Beating back attempts to take away our health care. While we're on the offense, we also have to protect what we have. With news that a new version of Trumpcare has just been announced, we need to make sure that Republicans can't push through devastating legislation that takes us backwards.
This is a sea change. Four years ago, the idea of a serious push for single payer was unthinkable. Now it's happening.
Will you chip in $3 to help keep the momentum going?
Thanks for all you do.
–Ben, Jayne, Marie, Brian, and the rest of the team
1. "Bernie Sanders Is Changing the Democratic Party," Bloomberg, September 14, 2017
Want to support our work? The MoveOn community will work every moment, day by day and year by year, to resist Trump's agenda, contain the damage, defeat hate with love, and begin the process of swinging the nation's pendulum back towards sanity, decency, and the kind of future that we must never give up on. And to do it we need your support, now more than ever. Will you stand with us?
PAID FOR BY MOVEON