Dear MoveOn member,
There's plenty to be worried about this election season—especially when the New York Times' top election analyst gives Republicans a 67% chance of taking over the House.1
But nothing good comes from worrying—especially when there's a super fun way to have a big impact on the election and stop the Republican takeover.
Next weekend, we're teaming up with Elizabeth Gilbert, author of the best-selling book Eat, Pray, Love, to hold hundreds of "Eat, Call, Win!" house parties on October 16th and 17th. We'll eat some great desserts, call thousands of other MoveOn members in swing districts, and help mobilize the massive volunteer force needed to win in November.
Click here to sign up:
Ms. Gilbert—a dedicated volunteer for Barack Obama in 2008—has a special message for MoveOn members about the upcoming election that you can play at the party. Here's an excerpt:
"We're facing the possibility of a takeover by a whole bunch of candidates—mostly Republicans—who hold all sorts of really extreme views, very strongly. They deny that climate change is real. They deny a woman's right to control her own body. They deny the government's right to regulate financial institutions, or to tax the wealthiest 2% of Americans. And we know that there's huge amounts of money coming into our elections, now more than ever because of Citizens United. And that's a really toxic combination—retrograde views and tons of corporate money trying to buy our elections."
This is a dangerous election. Any one race could determine whether Republicans take over Congress—a truly scary thought.
But to stop them, we can't just pray for victory. We need to build a massive movement of volunteers to help re-elect our progressive heroes and stop the takeover. And to hit our goal of making over 500,000 calls to volunteers this month, we need a host in Inwood.
How's hosting work? Here are the basics:
- You choose a location for people to hang out and make calls for 2-3 hours. It can be your house, a friend's house, or a local community center. Invite people to come, and we'll also email people in the area to invite them to join you.
- Since these are "Eat, Call, Win!" parties, food is crucial. :-) We'll ask anyone who RSVPs for your party to bring a dessert to share, and if you can provide one, too, that's great.
- We'll also have a special audio message from Ms. Gilbert to share with everyone at your party before calling begins.
- We'll give you all the tips and tools you need to host, including simple instructions on how to print the lists of people to call, what to say on the phone, and how to report your calls. We've even got live volunteer support via phone or email throughout your party.
The "Eat, Call, Win!" parties will be a ton of fun—and with just 25 days til Election Day, each and every party is so important.
Can you host a party in Inwood? Click here:
Thanks for all you do.
–Kat, Marika, Stephen, Duncan, and the rest of the team
1. "House Forecast: As October Dawns, November's Math Still Strong for G.O.P.," New York Times, October 1, 2010
Want to support our work? We're entirely funded by our 5 million members—no corporate contributions, no big checks from CEOs. And our tiny staff ensures that small contributions go a long way. Chip in here.
PAID FOR BY MOVEON.ORG POLITICAL ACTION, http://pol.moveon.org/. Not authorized by any candidate or candidate's committee. This email was sent to eddie alfaro on October 8, 2010. To change your email address or update your contact info, click here. To remove yourself from this list, click here.