Dear MoveOn member,
This is stunning: The New York Times reports that Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu—who gave a speech undermining President Obama's negotiations with Iran in front of Congress this past spring—is gearing up "to lobby Congress to reject the [Iran] deal and ultimately override any presidential veto."1
Netanyahu's speech in front of Congress—without first notifying the White House—was a breach of diplomatic protocol and an insult to President Obama.2 And now, Netanyahu is trying to exploit partisan politics to undermine the president once again.
We need to make sure Congress sides with President Obama—not Netanyahu and the Republican war hawks he emboldens. Will you chip in $3 to help us ensure that President Obama's approach to Iran has a chance to succeed?
As Netanyahu lobbies Congress, the cries of war hawks will only grow louder. Jeb Bush calls diplomatic efforts with Iran "appeasement."3 Scott Walker predicted it would be "one of America's worst diplomatic failures."4 Lindsey Graham called it a "nightmare."5 And Donald Trump said "we look so desperate, and it's a disgrace."6
The fact is that none of these people—Netanyahu, Bush, Trump, or the 47 Republican senators who had previously tried to sabotage diplomacy by signing a letter to the government of Iran aiming to derail the Obama administration's talks—represent the view of the overwhelming number of Americans who support a diplomatic resolution to the standoff over Iran's nuclear program.7
This is a historic moment. To make sure President Obama's deal survives, we all need to push back against the war hawks and fear mongers—foreign and domestic—who are trying to put us on a path to war. Can you chip in $3 to defend President Obama's deal from war hawks like Benjamin Netanyahu, Jeb Bush, and Donald Trump—and seize this historic opportunity?
MoveOn members have been essential in defending diplomacy thus far. The New York Times cited MoveOn as one of the leading groups that will defend this deal as Congress prepares to vote on it in the next 60 days.8
Here's how we'll play a leading role in this make-or-break effort over the next 60 days:
- A round-the-clock online and field rapid-response command center. We'll have our creative, political, and field teams on the ready to respond with powerful ads, on-the-ground events, and social media campaigns to make sure anytime there's a new attack ad, an outrageous comment, or a misinformed member of Congress, we're there.
- An on-the-ground effort in eight critical states, targeting Senate Democrats who could make or break the deal. We'll hire a dedicated team of organizers and mobilize thousands of MoveOn members on the ground to convince wavering Senate Democrats.
- Accountability for Democrats. We'll track where every single Senate Democrat stands—and what they're saying. We'll shift resources and apply intense pressure to on-the-fence Democrats when it's needed most.
Will you chip in $3 to help us make sure the voices of Americans who want peace are heard more loudly than the saber-rattling of Netanyahu, Bush, and others?
To secure victory, we must spend the next 60 days showing that Americans stand for peace and diplomacy. It'll take one hell of a fight—and massive resources—but with your help, we can win.
Thanks for all you do.
–Jo, Erica, Robert, Anna, and the rest of the team
1. "Iran Deal Denounced by Netanyahu as 'Historic Mistake'," The New York Times, July 14, 2015
2. "White House: Boehner invite to Netanyahu breach of protocol," AP, January 21, 2015
3. "Jeb Bush flubs foreign policy with 'appeasement' talk," MSNBC, July 14, 2015
4. "Republican presidential candidates slam Iran deal," USA Today, July 14, 2015
6. "Trump On Iran Deal: 'We Look So Desperate, And It Is A Disgrace'," Real Clear Politics, July 15, 2015
7. "Support for Iran nuclear deal," The Washington Post, May 27, 2015
8. "Left-Leaning Groups Vow to Defend the Deal," The New York Times, July 14, 2015
Want to support our work? We're entirely funded by our 8 million members—no corporate contributions, no big checks from CEOs. And our tiny staff ensures that small contributions go a long way. Start a monthly donation here or chip in a one-time donation here.
PAID FOR BY MOVEON.ORG POLITICAL ACTION, http://pol.moveon.org/. Not authorized by any candidate or candidate's committee. This email was sent to eddie alfaro on July 18, 2015. To change your email address or update your contact info, click here. To remove yourself from this list, click here.