Dear fellow MoveOn member,
I'm Perry O'Brien, an Operation Enduring Freedom veteran, and I am appalled by the unrelenting attacks by Donald Trump and his surrogates on the Gold Star family of Humayun Khan, a U.S. soldier who died in Iraq.1
There must be consequences for Trump's consistently appalling behavior. Senator John McCain, a war veteran, has denounced Trump's most recent attack—but that's not enough.2 Will you click here and sign my petition demanding that Sen. McCain and other Republicans withdraw their endorsement of Donald Trump?
Just today, President Obama said that Trump is unfit to be commander in chief and called upon Republicans to withdraw support of Trump's candidacy.3 The first Republican House member, Congressman Richard Hanna, from New York, showed the courage to say he won't be voting for Trump.4 Now it's time for Sen. McCain and other leading Republicans to recognize that denouncing Trump's statements isn't enough. They must withdraw their support—because Donald Trump is unfit to lead.
Please click here to add your name to my petition, which fellow veterans and I will deliver to Sen. McCain and other leading Republicans in the days ahead. It reads:
Trump's vicious attack on the Khan family is one in a long line of painful examples which make it clear that Trump cannot be trusted to honor the women and men serving this nation in the armed forces.5
And the attacks are getting worse. One of Trump's senior advisors has even gone so far as to accuse Khzir Khan of being part of the Muslim Brotherhood.6
My organization, Common Defense, was started out of a shared belief that Donald Trump is unfit to be our next commander in chief.7 I'm appalled by Trump's disrespect for military families and his use of veterans as political props.
In the Army, I swore to protect the rights of every American. But Donald Trump wants to divide us, and his actions will put us in danger.
Sen. McConnell and Speaker Ryan have both released statements about these attacks that failed to mention Donald Trump by name.8 If Republican leaders do not outright disavow Trump's dangerous rhetoric, we will be forced to assume that they endorse his attacks on veterans and military families.
We cannot allow these comments to go unchallenged.
Thanks for all you do.
—Perry O'Brien, member of Common Defense
Want to support MoveOn's work? Former Labor Secretary Robert Reich says, "As the biggest independent progressive group that supported Bernie Sanders, MoveOn is uniquely poised to help turn out those of his supporters who are most likely to stay home in November." Can you chip in $5 a month to help our ongoing work to turn out progressive voters and defeat Donald Trump?
1. "Broad array of military luminaries condemn Trump over attacks on Khan family," The Washington Post, August 1, 2016
2. "John McCain: Trump does not have 'unfettered license to defame those who are the best among us,'" The Washington Post, August 1, 2016
3. "Obama Says Republicans Should Withdraw Support for Trump," The New York Times, August 2, 2016
4. "House Republican Backs Hillary Clinton, Calling Donald Trump 'Unfit to Serve,'" The New York Times, August 2, 2016
5. "Trump at War," The Huffington Post, accessed August 1, 2016
6. "Trump Veterans Adviser Attacks Khizr Khan As A 'Muslim Brotherhood Agent,'" Think Progress, August 1, 2016
7. Common Defense PAC, accessed August 2, 2016
8. "GOP Reacts to Donald Trump's Controversial Remarks on Khan Family," NBC News, July 31, 2016
You're receiving this petition because we thought it might interest you. It was created on MoveOn.org, where anyone can start their own online petitions. You can start your own petition here.
PAID FOR BY MOVEON