Dear MoveOn member,
Support for Donald Trump has SURGED following the Republican convention, with four of the most recent public polls showing the Republican presidential nominee defeating Hillary Clinton by an average of two to three points.1
And former New York Times statistician Nate Silver—who predicted state-by-state returns in 2012 with 100% accuracy—is now predicting that if the election were held today, Trump would have a 55.9% chance of winning.2
As impossible as all of this sounds, it’s what is happening in this country, which is why we need you to pitch in to our emergency campaign to counter Trump’s surge in the polls.
Will you make an urgent contribution today to help us get progressives off the sidelines in this election, especially in swing states like Ohio and Pennsylvania?
This is a critical week for our efforts. Trump is ramping up his fundraising and mobilizing in the swing states, while Democrats meet in Philadelphia for the convention. We cannot afford to allow this Trump surge to grow or become permanent.
With your help, we will:
- Use social media to educate voters about what's at stake, with videos that will be seen tens of millions of times. We're on track to reach an audience equivalent to that of a cable news TV show, without a dime of corporate advertising.
- Launch door-to-door volunteer canvasses using in-person conversations, which are proven to be one of the most effective ways to get out the vote and swing elections. We've just finished our proof-of-concept canvass in Ohio, and we're gearing up to roll it out in 10 key states.
- Get MoveOn spokespeople and MoveOn members on TV to reach millions of Americans about just how much is at stake. MoveOn staff were interviewed by national TV networks multiple times outside of the Republican National Convention last week, and we've already been on CNN, Fox, and MSNBC three times at the Democratic National Convention. But we need your help to invest more in media pitching, training, and staffing, so that we can get our spokespeople and MoveOn members in front of voters from now through Election Day with the messaging that our research and polling have shown can mobilize key voters who could decide the election.
Can we count on you to send an emergency contribution to help us defeat Donald Trump?
Thanks for all you do.
—Matt, Victoria, Maria, Schuyler, and the rest of the team
1. "General Election: Trump vs. Clinton," RealClearPolitics, accessed July 25, 2016
2. "2016 Election Forecast: Who will win the presidency?" FiveThirtyEight, accessed July 25, 2016
Want to support our work? MoveOn member contributions have powered our work together for more than 17 years. Hundreds of thousands of people chip in each year—which is why we're able to be fiercely independent, answering to no individual, corporation, politician, or political party. You can become a monthly donor by clicking here, or chip in a one-time gift here.
PAID FOR BY MOVEON