Hi Eddie!—It's official: This morning, Donald Trump formally introduced Indiana Governor Mike Pence as his vice presidential running mate. There isn't a moment to lose. We've already raised more than $50,000 for our emergency campaign to make sure America hears the truth about Mike Pence. Your urgent contribution will help us hit our goal of $100,000 by Monday. Can we count on you to help out?
For more information on our emergency campaign, see Ilya's email from Thursday night, below:
Dear MoveOn member,
Donald Trump just selected Indiana Governor Mike Pence for vice president.1 And that means that the next five days could be the most important of Trump's entire campaign.
You see, Republicans want to use Gov. Pence to make it seem like Trump is prepared to govern. Pence was in Congress for 10 years, was the 4th highest ranking member in House leadership, and has been the governor of Indiana since 2013.
What Republicans don't want people to know is that Gov. Pence is one of the most extreme right-wing politicians in America.
Pence signed the notorious "license to discriminate" bill allowing businesses to deny service to LGBT people.2 He's so extreme on abortion that he voted for legislation that would give personhood rights to embryos and defund Planned Parenthood.3
He even compared Obamacare to the 9/11 attacks and threatened to block Hurricane Katrina reconstruction unless it was offset by cuts to Medicare, the National School Lunch Program, and PBS.4,5
That's why we're launching an emergency campaign to make sure America knows the truth about Mike Pence—and we're aiming to raise $100,000 to make it happen. Will you chip in $2.70 to help make sure America hears the truth about Trump's VP selection?
We need to make sure the American people know the truth about Gov. Mike Pence—and what a Trump-Pence administration would mean. So here's what we have planned:
- We're putting our new Video Lab team to work to produce a video that we'll push out to social networks immediately. We need to ensure that millions of voters learn the truth about Donald Trump and Mike Pence's dangerous plans to divide this country. Our recent videos have been seen by more than 15 million people; we're operating at a scale that can have a real impact.
- We'll ramp up massive, independent, door-to-door volunteer canvasses. Our team is already on the ground in Ohio, preparing to knock on doors this weekend. In-person conversations are one of the most effective ways to get out the vote and swing elections. With your help, we can roll this program out in other battleground states and ensure that key constituencies—young voters, people of color, women, and others who might need extra encouragement to vote—understand the stakes of this election and vote.
- We'll leverage social media to spread important information to millions of progressives between now and Election Day. Already, we've launched an aggressive campaign to tell the truth about Donald Trump, and we must redouble our efforts now that he's selected his running mate. For the next 116 days, MoveOn will continue making timely videos and graphics for social media networks that will be seen tens of millions of times. While cheaper than TV ads, this can still be costly, and we need your support to keep this program running.
With the Republican message machine up revving up to pitch Trump's selection to the American people, we don't have much time to get this campaign off the ground. Will you chip in $2.70?
The next five days are crucial for the future of America. Every day from now through next week's Republican National Convention, Republicans will be selling him as proof that Donald Trump can be trusted with the most powerful office in the land.
But if we can get out front and define Mike Pence for the American people the same way we defined Mitt Romney in 2012, we can make Mike Pence backfire on Donald Trump the same way Sarah Palin backfired on John McCain.
We can't count on the media to tell the truth. It's up to us to set the record straight. Will you chip in $2.70 to help defeat Donald Trump and Mike Pence?
Thanks for all you do.
—Ilya, Iram, Scott, Justin K., and the rest of the team
1. "Donald Trump selects Mike Pence as VP," CNN, July 14, 2016
2. "Say it Ain’t Pence: Is Trump About to Double Down on his Anti-LGBTQ Agenda?" Human Rights Campaign, July 12, 2016
3. "Trump’s Potential VP Mike Pence vs. Women’s Periods," The Daily Beast, July 13, 2016
4. "Rep. Mike Pence Compares Obamacare Ruling To 9/11," ThinkProgress, June 28, 2012
5. "The House Republican Study Committee's Proposals to Offset the Costs of Hurricane Relief," Center on Budget and Policy Priorities, October 5, 2005
Want to support our work? MoveOn member contributions have powered our work together for more than 17 years. Hundreds of thousands of people chip in each year—which is why we're able to be fiercely independent, answering to no individual, corporation, politician, or political party. You can become a monthly donor by clicking here, or chip in a one-time gift here.
PAID FOR BY MOVEON