Dear MoveOn member,
Donald Trump just accepted the Republican presidential nomination. There is no going back. He’s the nominee—just one step away from being president of the United States—and we have to do everything in our power to stop him.
The reality is this: Trump was surging in the polls BEFORE the convention.1 And former New York Times data wizard Nate Silver—who picked every single state with 100% accuracy in 2012—is estimating that this week, the Republican National Convention (even as crazy as it's been), could give Trump a 4 point gain in the polls.2 That’s enough to put Trump in the lead against Hilary Clinton.
We're running an emergency campaign to counter the bounce Trump is expected to get from his speech. Will you send an urgent contribution now to help our team mobilize in swing states to counter any bounce Trump gets from tonight’s speech?
The next few days are going to be critical. Trump’s campaign will be ramping up, and with the Democratic National Convention happening next week, we cannot afford to become complacent. Stopping Trump will take all of us—including independent organizations like MoveOn. With your help, we will:
- Use social media to educate voters about what's at stake, with videos that will be seen tens of millions of times. We're on track to reach an audience equivalent to that of a cable news TV show, without a dime of corporate advertising.
- Launch door-to-door volunteer canvasses using in-person conversations, which are proven to be one of the most effective ways to get out the vote and swing elections. We've just finished our proof-of-concept canvass in Ohio, and we're gearing up to roll it out in 10 key states.
- Get MoveOn spokespeople on TV—to reach millions of Americans about just how just much is at stake. We've been interviewed by TV stations multiple times outside of the Republican National Convention this week, but we need your help to invest more in media pitching, training, and staffing, so that we can get in front of voters from now through Election Day with the messaging that our research and polling have shown can mobilize key voters who could decide the election.
Will you make an emergency contribution to help us defeat Donald Trump?
Thanks for all you do.
–Ilya, Iram, Scott, Justin K., and the rest of the team
1. "2016 General Election: Trump vs. Clinton," The Huffington Post, accessed July 21, 2016
2. "Election Update: Clinton’s Lead Is As Safe As Kerry’s Was In 2004," FiveThirtyEight, July 19, 2016
Want to support our work? MoveOn member contributions have powered our work together for more than 17 years. Hundreds of thousands of people chip in each year—which is why we're able to be fiercely independent, answering to no individual, corporation, politician, or political party. You can become a monthly donor by clicking here, or chip in a one-time gift here.
PAID FOR BY MOVEON