Dear fellow MoveOn member,
Last week, as Donald Trump accepted the Republican nomination for president, he called on Bernie Sanders supporters to back his candidacy.1 It's tempting to laugh, but it's actually a smart strategy—and it could even win Trump the White House.
While Bernie supporters won't move to Trump en masse, if enough Bernie voters just stay home, it’s enough to give Trump an edge—and the presidency.
Hillary Clinton, who made history on Thursday night, has embraced a number of Bernie's policies that would make a big difference for millions of people—including a bold, new, affordable higher education proposal which Bernie himself endorsed.2 But Clinton has about a third of Bernie supporters left to try to win over.3 And Bernie supporters have voted less frequently in the past than other 2016 voters.4 These voters could decide the election.
That's why MoveOn has such an important role to play this election cycle.
As the biggest independent progressive group that supported Bernie Sanders, MoveOn is uniquely poised to help turn out those of his supporters who are most likely to stay home in November. Will you chip in $5 a month to help make sure progressive voters in swing states turn out to defeat Trump?
National polls conducted since Trump's acceptance speech are downright terrifying: Trump has taken the lead in many of them.5 These polls and the election data show that—if the election were today—chances are that he would be our 45th president.6
Will you join me in supporting MoveOn’s all-out, highly strategic campaign to engage progressives in this election—and defeat Donald Trump? Your ongoing support will help make this campaign possible through Election Day.
Here’s what your donation will support:
- Savvy social media to cut through lies and educate voters about the high stakes of this election—complete with rapid-response videos that will be seen and shared tens of millions of times and reach an audience roughly the size of a cable news program.
- Door-to-door volunteer canvasses in 10 key states, using the proven model MoveOn tested recently in Ohio—because there is no better alternative than human connection as an antidote to hatred and fear.
- MoveOn spokespeople and MoveOn members on TV—to help create a breakthrough, alternative narrative about what makes America truly great.
Will you help MoveOn ensure that every progressive voter in a swing state who's considering staying home or voting third party this fall knows just how dangerous Donald Trump is by chipping in $5 a month right now?
Thanks for all you do.
1. "Full text: Donald Trump 2016 RNC draft speech transcript," Politico, July 21, 2016
2. "Hillary Clinton Embraces Ideas From Bernie Sanders’s College Tuition Plan," The New York Times, July 6, 2016
3. "Why Clinton Might Have A Tough Time Flipping The Sanders Holdouts," FiveThirtyEight, July 25, 2016
5. "2016 General Election: Trump vs. Clinton," The Huffington Post, accessed July 30, 2016
6. "Who will win the presidency?" FiveThirtyEight, accessed July 30, 2016
Want to support MoveOn's work? As the biggest independent progressive group that supported Bernie Sanders, MoveOn is uniquely poised to help turn out those of his supporters who are most likely to stay home in November. Can you chip in $5 a month to help us work from now through Election Day to make sure progressive voters turn out to defeat Donald Trump?
PAID FOR BY MOVEON