Hi Eddie—I want to make sure that you saw this message from Robert Fox, MoveOn's COO. If 1,250 more people sign up, we will hit our goal of 5,000 new monthly donors by 2017. We can do it with your help!
Hi MoveOn member,
This is Robert Fox, MoveOn's chief operating officer.
Frankly, it hasn't been easy to run operations at MoveOn during a time when MoveOn and our staff are being flooded with hate mail and threats from Trump supporters. But knowing that MoveOn members like you have our backs—and we've been buoyed by so many of you during the campaign and since the election—has given all of us here the resolve and fierce determination to resist Trump at every turn in 2017.
I'm writing you today about MoveOn's 2017 budget, which I need to finalize in the next few days. As I prepare our 2017 budget for approval by the board, I have an important request: Will you become a MoveOn monthly donor?
$5 a month—or whatever you can afford—will go a long way. And the greater the number of consistent supporters that we can count on, the more we can do in what may be the most fraught and important political year of our lifetimes.
We've set an ambitious goal of signing up 5,000 new monthly donors between now and midnight on December 31. This would mean $600,000 in additional, reliable funding for 2017—enough to fund an entire team at MoveOn.
When you become a monthly donor, it will be my job to turn your ongoing support into a 2017 budget that would allow MoveOn to rise to the historic challenge that we're facing with a Trump presidency. (And let me be clear: No budget is too large for the threat we face. Which is why I'm hoping that we blast through our end-of-year goal and raise even more.)
Your ongoing donation will give us the resources we need to:
- Fight back against Republicans' attempts to repeal the Affordable Care Act and slash Medicare, Medicaid, and Social Security. News reports indicate that all four programs may come under immediate attack.1 And repeal of the Affordable Care Act may come up for a vote in Congress before Trump is even sworn in on January 20.2
- Stand together with communities—Muslim, Latino, Black, LGBTQ, women, and more—that are under attack. As communities face direct attacks from Trump and his supporters, we will be called on to stand up for equality, justice, and freedom.
- Help lead the resistance to Trump. We will help build and support a peaceful, highly visible, mass resistance to Trump and work to stop elected officials, the media, and others from normalizing Trump and his administration.
- Create rapid response campaigns. MoveOn is able to turn on a dime because of our monthly supporters, who give us consistent funding. Ongoing funding allows us to take immediate action when every hour matters, without having to fundraise first.
- Lay the groundwork to rebuild power in 2017, 2018, and 2020 elections, building support around an inclusive, populist progressive agenda.
Will you become a monthly donor today to help us rise to the great challenges we will face in 2017?
Thanks for all you do.
—Robert Fox, chief operating officer, MoveOn.org
P.S. MoveOn's staff—and our members—are more determined than ever. I know that we don't want to leave any important right-wing attack unchallenged in 2017. Which is why—before I submit MoveOn's 2017 budget to the board—I hope that you'll step up and become a monthly donor. Are you in?
1. "Not Just Obamacare: Medicaid, Medicare Also On GOP’s Chopping Block," The Huffington Post, November 15, 2016
2. "How Fast Could GOP Congress Get Obamacare Repeal To Trump's Desk?" NPR, December 14, 2016
Want to support our work? The MoveOn community will work every moment, day by day and year by year, to resist Trump's agenda, contain the damage, defeat hate with love, and begin the process of swinging the nation's pendulum back toward sanity, decency, and the kind of future that we must never give up on. And to do it we need your ongoing support, now more than ever. Will you stand with us?