Dear MoveOn member,
Donald Trump and his henchmen are now attacking MoveOn.
Reince Priebus, Trump's incoming chief of staff, reacted to Electoral College protests by telling "Fox News Sunday" that "harassment from groups like MoveOn.org and the Democratic Party should stop."1 We knew the moment he said it because there was an immediate spike in online abuse aimed at us.
I promise you that we won't be intimidated or bullied—and we have no intention of backing down one bit. Will you stand with us today and over the weeks and months ahead by chipping in $5 a month?
Donald Trump and his allies aren't just pushing the standard Republican threats of repealing the Affordable Care Act, overturning Roe v. Wade, and giving a huge tax break for the 1%.
They have declared a war on truth itself. Who cares that Monday's Electoral College protests were peaceful and respectful? Or that while thousands of MoveOn members turned out, MoveOn didn't organize these events—nor did the Democratic Party?
Facts don't matter to these folks. Intimidation and bullying are part of their standard tool set.
During Trump's "victory tour," he told his followers that the murder rate is the highest it's been in 45 years. In fact, it's near a 50-year low.2
He said that he won the election in a landslide—but in fact, he lost the popular vote by 2.8 million votes.3,4 He rejected the findings of the FBI and CIA on Russian interference in our election, while claiming—with no evidence whatsoever—that millions of people voted illegally for Hillary Clinton.5,6
And this isn't the first time Trump's entourage has moved to silence dissent by attacking grassroots organizations—like MoveOn—and media outlets that challenge his lies.
It's not hyperbole to say that this is how fascism develops. And we have an obligation to speak out.
We're already working day and night to resist the worst from Donald Trump and the GOP. Here's a snapshot of our plans:
- Work with our Video Lab and Robert Reich to bust through propaganda and expose the truth. We'll scale up like never before—and respond to Trump's propaganda and lies with viral, truthful, fact-based videos that we can share through our huge social media following.
- Organize against Trump's attacks on our health care, environment, civil liberties, and frontline communities. We'll expand to tackle critical campaigns—from helping to lead the opposition to Trump's most extreme cabinet picks to doing our damnedest to make sure Republicans can't shred Americans' health care.
- Pressure Democrats to stand strong. We need to build a populist progressive Democratic Party that can win the support of a broad-based coalition and hold accountable any corporate Democrats who are willing to play footsie with a white supremacist.
But to make it all happen, we're counting on members like you to give us the ongoing resources to stand up to Trump and help lead the peaceful resistance. Will you chip in $5 a month now?
Thanks for all you do.
—Jo, Gabriela, Katie, Iram, and the rest of the team
1. "Reince Priebus on war of words with White House over Russia," Fox News, December 18, 2016
2. "Trump's false claims about U.S. murder rate raise questions," MSNBC, December 16, 2016
3. "FACT CHECK: Trump Falsely Claims A 'Massive Landslide Victory,'" NPR, December 11, 2016
4. "Clinton beats Trump by nearly 3M in popular vote," The Hill, December 20, 2016
5. "FBI accepts CIA conclusion that Russians hacked to help Trump," USA Today, December 16, 2016
6. "Trump falsely claims 'millions of people who voted illegally' cost him popular vote," CNN, November 20, 2016
Want to support our work? The MoveOn community will work every moment, day by day and year by year, to resist Trump's agenda, contain the damage, defeat hate with love, and begin the process of swinging the nation's pendulum back toward sanity, decency, and the kind of future that we must never give up on. And to do it we need your ongoing support, now more than ever. Will you stand with us?