Dear MoveOn member,
Now that the Electoral College has voted to make Donald Trump the 45th president of the United States, I have an important request for you.
You and I—together, alongside millions of other Americans—we are the resistance. It's now clear that we can't count on the norms of democracy to keep Trump in check—norms that were fraying even before Trump's ascendancy.1 The GOP has now stolen a U.S. Supreme Court seat and used unprecedented tactics to undermine Obama's presidency. And the media continues to enable Trump—to such a degree that NBC is literally putting Trump on their payroll as a producer of "The Celebrity Apprentice."2
What we do have going forward is the power of a fierce, creative, peaceful, and determined resistance. MoveOn is ready and committed to help lead the resistance—standing up to Trump every step of the way and fighting for the heart, soul, and future of our country.
So now, with Trump one major step closer to the presidency, I want to ask you to chip in $5 a month to MoveOn in the name of Donald Trump—to give us the resources to resist Trump seven days a week, 365 days a year.
Here’s how the resistance will work, Eddie:
- We will resist by showing that Donald Trump is unfit to be president, through Inauguration Day and beyond.
- We will resist by shining a spotlight on Trump’s corruption and violations of our laws and the U.S. Constitution and, if it comes to it, demand Trump's impeachment.
- We will resist by demanding that Democrats (and sensible Republicans) reject the worst aspects of Trump’s agenda, which benefits corporations and billionaires over the rest of us and uses bigotry to try to divide our nation. And we will hold them accountable if they don’t.
- And we will resist by rebuilding the Democratic Party into a party that represents you and me, not wealthy donors and powerful special interests.
The scale of the threat we face is unprecedented. And so our peaceful, strategic, and united response must also be unprecedented.
Thanks for all you do.
–Justin K., Hannah, Corinne, Scott, and the rest of the team
1. "Is Donald Trump a Threat to Democracy?" The New York Times, December 16, 2016
2. "Report: Donald Trump Will Remain As 'Apprentice' Executive Producer," Talking Points Memo, December 8, 2016
Want to support our work? The MoveOn community will work every moment, day by day and year by year, to resist Trump's agenda, contain the damage, defeat hate with love, and begin the process of swinging the nation's pendulum back toward sanity, decency, and the kind of future that we must never give up on. And to do it we need your ongoing support, now more than ever. Will you stand with us?