Dear MoveOn member,
When 730,000 MoveOn members signed a petition urging Macy's to dump Donald Trump's line of clothing, Trump threatened a lawsuit.1
After Trump canceled a rally in Chicago because of nonviolent student protests, Trump falsely told Fox News that MoveOn "staged" the protests and that MoveOn is "not a good group of people."2
Trump backer Jeffrey Lord even called MoveOn "the new KKK."3
And every time Trump attacks us, we're flooded with vile, hate-filled emails and Facebook comments.
This is what Trump does when someone stands up to him. He tries to bully them into silence. Imagine how intense that bullying will become when he has the power of the federal government at his fingertips.
We are not going to back down, now or ever. But to keep up the fight over the next four years, we're going to need to redouble our online security and beef up our legal defense fund—without taking away from the crucial grassroots organizing at the core of our work.
Will you chip in $5 a month to help give us the resources to stand up to Trump seven days a week, 365 days a year?
Our pledge to you is that we will never, ever let this bullying silence us. But after January 20, Trump will have all the powers of the U.S. presidency to attack us.
He's installing loyalists to run the Justice Department. He's already using his social media following to single out critics for abuse—like the Indiana labor leader who received death threats from Trump's followers after Trump attacked him by name on Twitter.4
It's the worst drumbeats of McCarthyism, Nixonian abuses of power, and Trump's own brand of bullying. And we know already we'll be in the crosshairs.
We know the next four years will bring a wave of awful policies from the Trump administration. We know we will fight back. And Trump will attack us.
There's a virtually endless list of people Trump has insulted or attacked, but MoveOn has been one of his most consistent targets.
Trump backer Sean Hannity accused MoveOn of "liberal fascism" and "putting innocent people's lives in jeopardy" when we dared speak out against his racist campaign events.5
Trump's chief of staff accused MoveOn of "harassment" when we called on the members of the Electoral College to vote their conscience.6
Trump spokeswoman Katrina Pierson falsely accused us of inciting violence—exactly what Trump himself did throughout his campaign.7
But we will not back down. Please, stand with us today and in the weeks and months to come by becoming a monthly donor right now.
Thanks for all you do.
–Justin K., Emily, Corinne, Robert, and the rest of the team
1. "Trump Threatens $25 Million Lawsuit Over Campaign Urging Macy’s To Dump Donald Trump," Common Dreams, February 19, 2013
2. "Right-Wing Media Baselessly Accuse MoveOn.Org Of Inciting Violence At Trump Rally," Media Matters for America, March 15, 2016
3. "MoveOn Hits Back at Trump Nut That Compared Them to the Klan," The Daily Beast, March 15, 2016
4. "Union leader who called out Donald Trump says he's getting threats from Trump supporters," CNBC, December 8, 2016
5. "Hannity Smears Trump Protesters, MoveOn.org: "This Is Liberal Facism," Media Matters for America, March 14, 2016
6. "Reince Priebus on war of words with White House over Russia," Fox News, December 18, 2016
7. "Right-Wing Media Baselessly Accuse MoveOn.Org Of Inciting Violence At Trump Rally," Media Matters for America, March 15, 2016
Want to support our work? The MoveOn community will work every moment, day by day and year by year, to resist Trump's agenda, contain the damage, defeat hate with love, and begin the process of swinging the nation's pendulum back toward sanity, decency, and the kind of future that we must never give up on. And to do it we need your ongoing support, now more than ever. Will you stand with us?