Hi Eddie—I wanted to make sure you saw this important email from Anna. —Justin
Dear MoveOn member,
MoveOn members have voted 94.5% to 5.5% this week for MoveOn to call on the Electoral College to reject Donald Trump.
Now, we have just over 48 hours to act. Will you chip in $3 to help run our emergency campaign to urge the Electoral College to reject Donald Trump?
With your help, we are:
- Running our new ad featuring a Republican elector saying he won't vote for Trump—which has drawn over 2 million views online already—on TV shows, including "Morning Joe," "Fox & Friends," and Fox News and promoting it on social media.
- Flooding the White House with calls, asking President Obama to declassify the CIA evidence of Russian influence on our election and call for a special session of Congress to address this crisis. Already, 200,000 MoveOn members have signed a petition to the president and over 17,000 called the White House in just one day.
- Recruiting members to attend peaceful, lawful actions over this weekend and on Monday to show popular outrage over Trump's foreign entanglements, refusal to address his financial conflicts of interest, and gross unfitness to serve—including gatherings at statehouses where electors will cast ballots on Monday.
- Calling on Congressional leaders, who have the power to delay the Electoral College vote to do so until the CIA evidence has been shared and Trump has suitably addressed his financial conflicts.
Will you pitch in $3 and help us run this this emergency campaign?
Let's be clear: As our emails about the member vote email noted, it's extremely unlikely that we'll actually succeed in getting the Electoral College to block Trump.
But this is also an unprecedented moment in American history. Trump presents a unique set of threats to our democracy. We should try.
And no matter what happens on Monday, we must help ensure that the public remembers that Hillary Clinton won more than 2.8 million more votes than Trump.
We must push Democrats to be bold in their opposition to Trump's and the Republicans' odious policies and nominees.
And we must make clear that we, the people, will not silently stand by while an unpopularly-elected president tears our country apart.
Thanks for all you do.
—Anna, Hannah, Nick, Tzyh, and the rest of the team
P.S. The FBI said yesterday that it backs the CIA's assessment that Russia intervened in the U.S. election to help Donald Trump win.1 And that's after the news broke this week that Russian President Vladimir Putin was personally involved—further evidence that the electors and American people have not been told the whole story yet and all the more reason to urge electors to stop Trump now.2
And momentum may be building: There are reportedly 20 electors who are considering voting their conscience.3
1. "FBI backs CIA view that Russia intervened to help Trump win election," The Washington Post, December 16, 2016
2. "U.S. Officials: Putin Personally Involved in U.S. Election Hack," NBC News, December 15, 2016
3. "Harvard professor says 20 GOP voters may flip against Trump," The Hill, December 13, 2016
Want to support our work? The MoveOn community will work every moment, day by day and year by year, to resist Trump's agenda, contain the damage, defeat hate with love, and begin the process of swinging the nation's pendulum back towards sanity, decency, and the kind of future that we must never give up on. And to do it we need your support, now more than ever. Will you stand with us?
PAID FOR BY MOVEON