Dear MoveOn member,
Yesterday, FBI Director James Comey confirmed that Donald Trump and his associates are part of an ongoing criminal investigation having to do with their ties to Russia.1
Now, Republicans have a choice to make: appoint an independent commission to investigate Trump and Russia—or be complicit in a scandal that could be worse than Watergate. MoveOn members are demanding that Republicans do the right thing. And until they do, we're calling for Democrats to shut down ALL business—including Senate confirmation hearings for Supreme Court nominee Neil Gorsuch. Are you in?
Yes! I'll chip in $3 to the emergency campaign to demand an independent commission to investigate Trump's Russia ties.
Every week, we hear more revelations about the Trump team's ties to Russian officials.
And yesterday, we learned that Trump and his associates are actively embroiled in a criminal probe. Some Republicans have talked a big game about Trump and Russia. They've made noise about subpoenas and demanding documents.2 But so far, it's all just talk. Not one Republican has voted for an independent commission to investigate the Trump team's Russian entanglements or Russia's influence on our election.
MoveOn members have been demanding an independent commission (like the one that was created after 9/11) for weeks—and we've supported efforts in the House and Senate to pursue it. But now that the head of the FBI has confirmed that Trump and his associates are part of a criminal probe, this takes on increasing urgency and importance.
Will you chip in $3—and support our campaign to demand the truth about Trump and Russia?
MoveOn has an ambitious plan to keep this story in the public eye and keep the pressure on Congress to act—until the American people know the truth:
- Create rapid response videos. We've already had millions of views on videos we've produced about Mike Flynn, Jeff Sessions, Steve Bannon, and the question of what Trump knew and when he knew it. Now we'll produce videos asking Republicans "When will you take your head out of the sand?"—and demanding an independent commission to investigate Trump's ties to Russia.
- Get every single Republican on the record. We helped generate 850,000 petition signatures to support the effort by Representative Jerry Nadler in the House to get the House Judiciary Committee to vote for an investigation. Every Republican refused. We're going to support efforts to introduce similar measures in committee after committee until EVERY single Republican is on the record. The public needs to know who's for (and against) pursuing the truth, wherever it may lead. We'll track these votes publicly and make them electoral issues in the next election.
- Show up in person. Members of Congress are coming home in just a few weeks for their April recess. We will meet them with town halls, outside their offices, and at every public event—and we'll stream key encounters over live video, so that every Republican will be asked to support investigations or be revealed as a supporter of Trump's cover-up.
Can you chip in $3 and support MoveOn's campaign for an independent investigation into the Trump administration's Russia ties?
We're calling on Democrats to stand unified in the resistance and to shut down the business of the Trump administration until this investigation is conducted thoroughly. That means no nominations. No legislation. Full resistance.
But we must also demand that Republicans stop talking big—and actually get in the game. They have the power to launch an independent investigation and give the American people a shot at uncovering the truth. If Republicans won't rise to the challenge, then it's our job to demand that Democrats grind Senate business to a halt.
Can you pitch in $3 now and help MoveOn demand that Republicans get on board with a real, independent investigation into Trump's Russia ties?
Thanks for all you do.
–Jo, Manny, Tzyh, Stephen, and the rest of the team
1. "F.B.I. Is Investigating Trump's Russia Ties, Comey Confirms," The New York Times, March 20, 2017
2. "Members of Congress demand cooperation from administration on Trump-Russia probe," The Washington Post, March 15, 2017
Want to support our work? The MoveOn community will work every moment, day by day and year by year, to resist Trump's agenda, contain the damage, defeat hate with love, and begin the process of swinging the nation's pendulum back towards sanity, decency, and the kind of future that we must never give up on. And to do it we need your support, now more than ever. Will you stand with us?