Dear MoveOn member,
While Republicans in Congress spent the first 100 days covering for Donald Trump and his administration, Congressional Democrats, including Representative Gregory W. Meeks, have been busy demanding the truth about Trump.
In measure after measure—15 times since Inauguration Day—they've called for investigating Trump's tax returns and his connection to Russia, forcing Republicans to choose between Trump and the truth. (Read on to learn about MoveOn's just-released "truth tracker"!)
Thanks to congressional Democrats, MoveOn members, and our allies, the call for investigations is growing louder and louder—and one key measure, which would require making Trump's tax returns public, is gaining real steam thanks in part to the support of Democrats like Rep. Meeks.
Can you take a moment to call Rep. Meeks and thank him for supporting the push to investigate Trump?
Here's where to call: (844) 818-0223
And here's an example of what you could say: "I am a constituent of Rep. Meeks. I want to thank him for signing the discharge petition on H.R.305, demanding a floor vote to get Trump's tax returns. Congress cannot begin to consider Trump's awful tax reforms until Trump releases his own taxes, at a very minimum. I also support creating a nonpartisan, independent investigation on Trump, Russia, and Trump's conflicts of interest."
After you make your call, click here to check out MoveOn's just-released truth tracker, which shows the number of times Democrats have forced Republicans to investigate Trump and the number of times Republicans have chosen Trump over the truth.
Republicans talk a good game about defending the Constitution—and no wonder given what we're seeing unfold:
- Top intelligence officials confirm that Russian agents hacked the US election;1
- Trump's campaign manager, National Security Advisor, and foreign policy expert all may have broken the law for colluding with Russia;2, 3, 4
- And the man pushing for a corporate tax giveaway (Trump) won't show who he might owe favors worth billions to by releasing his own taxes.5
But as the truth tracker shows, the vast number of Republican elected officials are choosing partisanship over our collective national interest time and again.
There's a difference between political theatre and getting the real answers that all Americans deserve. Which is why MoveOn members are calling for an independent investigation, as well as information, like tax returns, that should be made public by every President, regardless of their party affiliation.
We've already seen big wins, where public pressure has reined in this dangerous administration:
- House Intelligence Committee chair Devin Nunes was forced to recuse himself from the Trump/Russia investigation after MoveOn members and our allies called foul when he briefed Trump on the investigation;6
- And Jeff Sessions had to do the same in the Department of Justice investigation, because he lied under oath about his connections to Russian officials and MoveOn members and our allies hit the ground in protest.7
Let's thank lawmakers like Rep. Meeks who are on the right side of the truth/Trump choice by calling (844) 818-0223.
Thanks for all you do.
—Jo, Justin, Anna, Scott, and the rest of the team
P.S. The truth tracker focuses on the U.S. House of Representatives because House Democrats have introduced 15 measures (and counting) to investigate Donald Trump and his administration. Today, there's also a lot happening in the U.S. Senate where the Senate Judiciary Committee will hear testimony on Russian meddling in the 2016 election from former acting Attorney General Sally Yates, fired in January from the Department of Justice by Trump, and former Director of National Intelligence James Clapper. MoveOn's team will be following the hearing and you can too by tuning in on Facebook and Twitter.
1. "Comey confirms FBI probe into Trump-Russia collusion," Politico, March 20, 2017
2. "Paul Manafort Tried to Help Russian Oligarch Suspected of Mob Ties Get a US Visa," Mother Jones, March 22, 2017
3. "Could Michael Flynn Be Charged? Criminal Charges Are Possible Under The Logan Act," Bustle, February, 2017
4. "FBI obtained FISA warrant to monitor Trump adviser Carter Page," The Washington Post, April 11, 2017
5. "There's 1 big problem with Donald Trump's tax plan," CNN, April 26, 2017
6. "Devin Nunes temporarily steps aside in Russian meddling probe," USA Today, April 6, 2017
7. "Jeff Sessions recuses himself from Russia inquiry amid calls for resignation," The Guardian, March 3, 2017
Want to support our work? The MoveOn community will work every moment, day by day and year by year, to resist Trump's agenda, contain the damage, defeat hate with love, and begin the process of swinging the nation's pendulum back toward sanity, decency, and the kind of future that we must never give up on. And to do it we need your ongoing support, now more than ever. Will you stand with us?
Contributions to MoveOn.org Civic Action are not tax deductible as charitable contributions for federal income tax purposes. This email was sent to Eddie Alfaro on May 8th, 2017. To change your email address or update your contact info, click here. To remove yourself from this list, click here.