Dear MoveOn member,
Huge news. Stacey Abrams—whom MoveOn members endorsed months ago, volunteered for, and raised more than $214,876 to help elect—just won her primary election!1
She is now the first Black woman in American history to win a Democratic nomination for governor in any state.2 And if she wins the general election this November, she'll be Georgia's first Democratic governor in 15 years, its first Black governor, and the first Black woman in U.S. history to be governor of any state.3
Will you chip in $5 a month to help Stacey Abrams and other MoveOn-endorsed progressive candidates win this November?
Abrams didn't grow up with much, so as an adult, she has dedicated her career to helping make the lives of her fellow Georgians better and giving back to her home state. (Compare Abrams to Donald Trump, who has profited by being one of the biggest con men in history, defrauding investors, Trump University students, and countless others.)
Abrams founded the New Georgia Project, which registered over 200,000 voters of color from 2014 to 2016. And her electoral strategy, like Barack Obama's, is based on expanding the number of people who vote and reaching out to those who are ignored by conventional campaigns. (Trump came to power only because a historically low number of people showed up to vote in 2016, combined with the Electoral College.)
Abrams co-founded a successful financial services firm to bring more jobs to Georgia and help small businesses grow. (Whereas Trump is rich simply because his father was. In fact, if Trump had taken his father's money and invested it in the stock market, even while earning horrible rates of return, he'd be much richer today than he is.)
In 2011, Abrams became the House minority leader in Georgia's general assembly—the first Black woman to lead either party in the state. (Whereas Trump ran a divisive, racist campaign.)
As Rolling Stone magazine says, Abrams is "a composite of every quality that Sean Hannity and Donald Trump get on the phone and fret about at night."4
One of the best ways to fight back against Donald Trump and the Republican Party is to to elect Stacey Abrams and candidates like her this fall. Your ongoing support will help us do just that. Will you chip in $5 a month?
With your help, we will:
- Endorse and support 100 inspiring progressive candidates in the House of Representatives races and 100 candidates in state and local elections. With input directly from MoveOn members, we are identifying leaders of tomorrow who will stand up for our values, block the Trump administration at every turn, and represent our communities, not special interests.
- Expand our innovative, first-of-its-kind video program called Real Voter Voices to help get out the vote. We piloted this program in last year's special elections in Virginia and Alabama, and employed it in today's race in Georgia, and the preliminary results have been very exciting. That's why we're staffing up a full team to work on this project full time, to bring it to races across the country.
- Train and mobilize MoveOn volunteer leaders around the country. Last year, we trained 1,000 organizers through our Resistance Summer program, and this year, we're expanding that effort and will train new leaders who will organize in their communities to register voters, support candidates, get out the vote, and more.
Are you in?
Last night, a broad movement—including MoveOn members—helped propel an inspiring candidate to a historic victory. Now, let's keep going and make history in November.
Thanks for all you do.
–Rahna, Isbah, Chris, Alex, and the rest of the team
1. "Stacey Abrams Wins Georgia Democratic Primary for Governor, Making History," The New York Times, May 22, 2018
3. "The U.S. Has Never Had a Black Woman as Governor. Stacey Abrams Plans to Change That." Cosmopolitan, November 27, 2017
Want to support our work? The MoveOn community will work every moment, day by day and year by year, to resist Trump's agenda, contain the damage, defeat hate with love, and begin the process of swinging the nation's pendulum back toward sanity, decency, and the kind of future that we must never give up on. And to do it we need your ongoing support, now more than ever. Will you stand with us?
PAID FOR BY MOVEON