Dear MoveOn member,
We need to talk about the 2018 midterm elections.
Donald Trump has his highest approval rating in a year, and the Democrats' lead in the race for Congress is collapsing.1,2 Election experts are no longer projecting a "blue wave" and instead say the chance of ending Republican control of the House is now "50-50."3
And Republican mega-donors have learned from our past success and just announced plans to spend tens of millions on a MoveOn-style field operation to get out their vote.4
I can't stress this strongly enough: We do NOT have this election in the bag.
If we don't do everything in our power, Trump and the Republicans will keep control of Congress, and they'll be emboldened to go even further to repeal the Affordable Care Act, cut taxes for the superrich, stack the Supreme Court with far-right conservatives, and march America on a path to war.
And while Republicans have been gaining momentum, MoveOn has fallen $400,000 behind what we need to raise this month for our $15 million Resist & Win elections program. We urgently need to close that gap to keep rolling out our program on schedule and to avoid falling any farther behind. Will you rush an urgent donation of $3 to help stop Trump's momentum and end Republican control of Congress?
MoveOn's elections program is laser-focused on the most effective strategies that can turn a 50-50 toss-up election into a Democratic win. Here's what we have planned:
- Endorsements in more House races than ever before. All told, we'll endorse 100 bold, progressive candidates in competitive districts across the country. If we can win just 24 seats, we can end GOP control of Congress. If we can win more, it'll be a blue wave that swamps the GOP.
- A secret new program that could change the course of the election. We have to keep the details confidential right now, but MoveOn's analysts are currently developing new methods of voter persuasion that are an order of magnitude less expensive than any comparable program. The early results from the recent game-changing elections in Virginia and Alabama are extremely promising; the program has already made a huge difference in special elections. Now, MoveOn's gearing up to hire a dozen more analysts and other staff for this project, running more tests, and refining this program so that it's ready to go during election season.
- A community organizing training program for hundreds of grassroots leaders. We will be training grassroots leaders in and around key districts on how to organize their communities to win back the House in 2018, hold their elected officials accountable after Election Day, and build a power base for the Resistance and elections in 2019, 2020, and beyond.
But the truth is that the only way all this can happen is if we first meet our grassroots fundraising goals.
The media has been saying for months that Democrats have this election in the bag—just like they said in 2016. Polls say most people assume Trump won't get reelected.5 And with the growing sense of complacency, grassroots donations are slowing down.
With Democrats falling behind and a $400,000 budget gap at MoveOn, there isn't a moment to lose.
Thanks for all you do.
–Matt, Katie, Lisa, Shari, and the rest of the team
1. "Trump's approval rating just reached its highest point in a year," Business Insider, May 14, 2018
2. "2018 Generic Congressional Vote," RealClearPolitics, accessed May 20, 2018
3. "The Democrats' Drive for 25 in the House: An Update," University of Virginia Center for Politics, May 17, 2018
4. "GOP builds massive shadow army in fight for the House," Politico, May 17, 2018
Want to support our work? The MoveOn community will work every moment, day by day and year by year, to resist Trump's agenda, contain the damage, defeat hate with love, and begin the process of swinging the nation's pendulum back toward sanity, decency, and the kind of future that we must never give up on. And to do it we need your support, now more than ever. Will you stand with us?
PAID FOR BY MOVEON