Dear fellow MoveOn member,
This week, Mad King Trump has continued to fuel rumors that he will move to fire Mueller or otherwise shut down Mueller's investigation.1
There is a bill in Congress to protect special counsel Robert Mueller if he's fired by Donald Trump. And last Thursday, it passed in committee with bipartisan support.2 Four Republicans, including the committee's chairman, joined Democrats in voting "yes" on the bill.
But we can't breathe a sigh of relief yet. Because even with that overwhelming cross-party support, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell has outright refused to bring it up for a vote, saying, "I'm the one who decides what we take to the floor ... and we will not be having this on the floor of the Senate."3
MoveOn has spent months preparing for and organizing actions that would take place if Trump decided to fire Mueller, but this bill is our best chance to stop the firing from happening. Which is why I'm asking you:
Let's be clear: Despite what some Republicans in Congress and Trump would have you think, this bill is not some major overhaul of our laws or a witch hunt. All this bill does is codify Department of Justice regulations that already exist, stating that only a senior Justice Department official can fire a special counsel and allowing for a legal review to determine if Mueller's firing was for cause or simply because Trump has something to hide.4
And we know that Trump has something to hide.
Which is why MoveOn and its members have been doing everything we can to stop Trump from interfering with the Mueller investigation, while also preparing for the constitutional crisis that Trump would create by firing Mueller.
In addition to fighting to pass this bipartisan bill, here is just a little bit of what MoveOn's team has been working on:
- Organizing over 900 rallies with allies to take place in the hours after Trump moves to fire Mueller or stop the investigation. More than 360,000 people have RSVP'd to attend these emergency events to make clear that Trump is not above the law.
- Working with allies to plan a sustained response after Trump fires Mueller or Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein, or interferes with the investigation. MoveOn is working with allies to plan events around the country at congressional offices, hold additional large-scale rallies, call for Trump's impeachment, and run a massive campaign to end GOP control of Congress in November in order to stop Trump in his tracks.
- Adding on additional layers of preparation to rapid-response events—including more trainings on running peaceful protests and de-escalating conflict, making it even more clear that describing MoveOn's rallies as riots or suggesting that MoveOn's planning anything but peaceful, constitutional protests is outrageous and false.
- Ramping up the campaign to pass the bipartisan legislation by immediately flooding Congress with phone calls demanding McConnell bring the bill to the floor and shaming those Republicans who continue to cover up for Trump by refusing to support the legislation.
I have been a MoveOn member for years, and I trust MoveOn's team to lead this important work. But it is a huge undertaking.
I wake up every day worried about our democracy. Worried that today is the day that Trump is going to cross whatever lines are still left holding our country together. Recently, I listened in horror as he ranted for 30 minutes on "Fox and Friends" about Mueller's "witch hunt" and Trump's decision to stop working with his own Justice Department. It was a chilling display of how unhinged, defensive, angry, vindictive, and bellicose he's become—and it made crystal clear the urgent necessity of passing legislation to protect Mueller's probe and put some limits on Trump's rampant misuse of power.
Our country's future is at stake, and we cannot afford to wait to take action. Will you chip in $3?
Thanks for all you do.
1. "Trump rips Justice Department in stinging set of tweets," CNN, May 2, 2018
2. "Senate panel approves bill to protect special counsel," The Hill, April 26, 2018
3. "Senate panel approves bill to shield Mueller from firing," UPI, April 26, 2018
Want to support our work? The MoveOn community will work every moment, day by day and year by year, to resist Trump's agenda, contain the damage, defeat hate with love, and begin the process of swinging the nation's pendulum back toward sanity, decency, and the kind of future that we must never give up on. And to do it we need your support, now more than ever. Will you stand with us?
Contributions to MoveOn.org Civic Action are not tax deductible as charitable contributions for federal income tax purposes. This email was sent to Eddie Alfaro on May 3rd, 2018. To change your email address or update your contact info, click here. To remove yourself from this list, click here.