Dear MoveOn member,
This is as bad as we feared.
News broke today that Donald Trump plans to issue more toxic executive actions to:
- Follow through on his promise to build a wall along the U.S. and Mexico border.1
- Freeze the U.S. refugee program for 120 days, cut the current refugee quota by more than 50%, and take steps to initiate a "Muslim Ban"—targeting and banning immigration from upward of seven Muslim-majority countries.2
- Call for a brutal immigration crackdown, including a likely acceleration of mass deportations and an effort to cut funding for sanctuary cities.3
- End the DACA (Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals) program, which has protected over 740,000 undocumented individuals from deportations. People who are already protected under DACA will be unable to renew their protections.4
MoveOn and our allies are mobilizing to issue a powerful rebuke: We won’t stand for Trump's outrageous fearmongering and authoritarian agenda. And we’re ready to fight back as members and allies of those communities being targeted—for as long as it takes.
Right now, let's help mount a visible display of our opposition to and public noncooperation with Trump’s plans—at a national scale.
Will you print out one (or more) of the signs MoveOn and our allies are distributing tonight, and will you hang the sign publicly tomorrow so that you and your community can be counted as part of the resistance?
And we won't stop at signs—we'll follow up with pressure on our elected officials, advocacy on the state and local levels, and by exploring other legal avenues to block these outrageous acts.
Trump’s executive actions desecrate values Americans hold dear:
- A promise—rooted in our nation’s Constitution—which prevents people from being targeted based on their religion.
- A centuries-old commitment to opening our doors—lifting our lamp, as Emma Lazarus wrote in her famous 1883 poem emblazoned on the Statue of Liberty—to refugees and immigrants from around the world.
- And an understanding that we owe a great debt to generations of immigrants and refugees whose innovation and labor have driven this nation forward.
Click here to print out one (or more) 8.5" x 11" black-and-white sign and hang one in your home or on a bulletin board at a local school. Display it in the window of your car or pin it to your backpack. Post it at your town hall, library, community of faith, or in the window of a local business.
(And when you download the signs, be sure to tell us where you'll be posting them so we can make sure the national media and members of Congress understand the vast, passionate, and courageous opposition mobilizing today and for the days, weeks, and months to come.)
Eddie, Trump is threatening refugees, immigrants, and Muslims, and it's up to MoveOn members and our allies to speak in one fearless voice of opposition and defiance and with one message: Never. Not on our watch.
Your action today builds on the massive resistance exemplified by Saturday's exquisite and vast Women's Marches, as well as the 200 rallies that happened yesterday at Senate offices nationwide as part of #ResistTrumpTuesdays, powered by MoveOn members and our allies.
Thanks for all you do.
—Jo, Gabby, Mark, Robert, and the rest of the team
1. "Trump Orders Mexican Border Wall to Be Built and Is Expected to Block Syrian Refugees," The New York Times, January 25, 2017
3. "Donald Trump Signs Executive Orders To Build Border Wall, Strip Funding For Sanctuary Cities," The Huffington Post, January 25, 2017
4. "Read leaked drafts of 4 White House executive orders on Muslim ban, end to DREAMer program, and more," Vox, Jan 25, 2017
Want to support our work? The MoveOn community will work every moment, day by day and year by year, to resist Trump's agenda, contain the damage, defeat hate with love, and begin the process of swinging the nation's pendulum back toward sanity, decency, and the kind of future that we must never give up on. And to do it we need your ongoing support, now more than ever. Will you stand with us?
Contributions to MoveOn.org Civic Action are not tax deductible as charitable contributions for federal income tax purposes. This email was sent to Eddie Alfaro on January 26th, 2017. To change your email address or update your contact info, click here. To remove yourself from this list, click here.