Hi Eddie—I just wanted to make sure you saw Jo's message from the other day.
Dear MoveOn member,
The FBI has stormed the office of Donald Trump's longtime personal lawyer Michael Cohen—the same man who paid $130,000 to hush up Stormy Daniels—which led Trump to make the most direct threat yet to fire special counsel Robert Mueller or Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein and shut down the investigation.1
The information leading to this raid sprang from Mueller's independent investigation into the Trump team's connection to Russian efforts to interfere with our elections and Trump's obstruction of justice—a probe that has already yielded multiple guilty pleas, dozens of indictments, and is closing in on Trump's closest allies.2 But Trump called it a "disgrace" and accused the FBI of "breaking in" to Cohen's office.3,4
Trump is fuming. And following his comments, Washington is on heightened alert for him to fire Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein, who oversees Mueller's investigation, or Mueller himself.
Make no mistake: Firing Rosenstein would constitute a brazen attempt by Trump to obstruct the investigation. It would be akin to Richard Nixon's "Saturday Night Massacre" during Watergate. If Trump fires Rosenstein—which is looking increasingly likely—he'll cross a red line—which is why we must prepare NOW to take immediate action.
This is urgent: Can you donate $3 now to fuel MoveOn's work to defend the Mueller investigation, launch nationwide protests if Trump fires Mueller or Rosenstein, and push Republicans and Democrats to take all action within their power if Trump causes this constitutional crisis?
MoveOn and our allies are prepared for this moment—we started last summer when we organized the "Nobody Is Above the Law" network of rapid-response actions that can be launched within 24 hours if Trump fires Mueller or Rosenstein or attempts to stop the investigation. We now have more than 800 events planned around the country—and moments ago, we crossed 300,000 RSVPs. That's right, 300,000 of your fellow Americans are ready to take to the streets if Trump fires Mueller or Rosenstein.
Now that we're all on red alert, MoveOn needs the resources to:
- Promote and strengthen this network. We need to reach even more people before Trump fires Mueller or Rosenstein—and have the resources to connect to hundreds of thousands more in the chaotic aftermath of a firing.
- Support the over 800 events already planned. We'll need to quickly hire extra on-the-ground support in key cities, run ads, hire video crews and photographers, distribute signs, and potentially hire security.
- Cut through the Trump noise. Trump has a megaphone on Twitter. But MoveOn and MoveOn members have our own megaphones: a MoveOn Video Lab that can produce rapid-response videos that will be seen millions of times, national spokespeople that can appear on all the evening news shows, and, of course, the voices of our members around the country, who'll need to be equipped with signs, actions, talking points, and everything they'll need to connect with neighbors about this crisis.
- Invest in a sustained campaign. If Trump causes a constitutional crisis, our response won't be limited to just one day—it will be every day.
Can you pitch in $3 to this campaign right now? The stakes couldn't be higher, and we have to be ready.
MoveOn members have been on the very front lines of progressive efforts to bolster and defend Mueller's Trump-Russia investigation. Now, it's looking more and more likely that we'll be called into the streets to defend our democracy. In the midst of a constitutional crisis we have to act, because no one—absolutely no one—is above the law.
Thanks for all you do.
–Jo, Erica, Ilya, Milan, and the rest of the team
1. "F.B.I. Raids Office of Trump's Longtime Lawyer Michael Cohen; Trump Calls It 'Disgraceful,'" The New York Times, April 9, 2018
3. "FBI raids Trump lawyer Michael Cohen's office, seizes Stormy Daniels documents, bank records," CNN, April 9, 2018
Want to support our work? The MoveOn community will work every moment, day by day and year by year, to resist Trump's agenda, contain the damage, defeat hate with love, and begin the process of swinging the nation's pendulum back toward sanity, decency, and the kind of future that we must never give up on. And to do it we need your support, now more than ever. Will you stand with us?
Contributions to MoveOn.org Civic Action are not tax deductible as charitable contributions for federal income tax purposes. This email was sent to Eddie Alfaro on April 11th, 2018. To change your email address or update your contact info, click here. To remove yourself from this list, click here.