Dear MoveOn member,
We won a special Senate election in Alabama.
We won in the special House election in PA-18—a district that Donald Trump won by 20 points; that's a 21-point swing in just 15 months.
And now, stunning news out of Texas: Beto O'Rourke, "a peppy, rangy, toothy progressive" Senate candidate is STATISTICALLY TIED with Texas' far-right wingnut Senator Ted Cruz in a new poll.1,2
Not only are O'Rourke and Cruz statistically tied, but O'Rourke's been able to match Cruz in fundraising—all while refusing money from Super PACs. Over the past three months, O'Rourke has come from behind to raise more than twice as much as Cruz. O'Rourke has the momentum.
But there's a big problem: The majority of Texans don't yet know enough about O'Rourke to have an opinion of him.3
If Beto O'Rourke is able to define himself and reach voters now, he will win. On the other hand, if Cruz is able to define O'Rourke before he can get his message out to voters, then he will lose. Which is where you come in.
Will you rush an urgent $3 donation to Beto O'Rourke right now, so that he can get his message out across Texas and fight against Ted Cruz's lies?
MoveOn members in Texas voted overwhelmingly to support Beto O'Rourke. He's the real deal because:
- He's refused to take any money from Super PACs, instead relying on hundreds of thousands of small-dollar grassroots donations from folks like you to fuel his work.4
- He has already raised over $13 million from grassroots donations, including receiving 141,000 individual contributions in the past three months alone—far outpacing Cruz.5
- He wants to know what Texans care about. He's held more than 200 town hall events across the state.6
- He's fighting for universal health care coverage, unlike Cruz, who's led the fight to repeal the Affordable Care Act.7
We have a golden opportunity to send a true progressive from Texas to the Senate this fall, and maybe even tip the balance of power in the Senate. But Cruz has a huge network of donors—many of whom are millionaires and billionaires, dedicated to keeping Republican control in Congress, which means that O'Rourke has an uphill battle to combat Cruz's nearly limitless cash.
While O'Rourke is committed to small-dollar grassroots donations from folks like us, pro-Cruz Super PACs are standing by ready to dump millions of dollars into misleading ads to bad-mouth O'Rourke before the campaign even heats up. If O'Rourke doesn't have enough funds to even respond to these lies, then he will lose.
It's not fair, but that's the way it is. To take Cruz on, Beto O'Rourke needs us, right now, not later in September or October. Which is why I'm asking you today:
If we win in Texas, we truly can win anywhere. We could even take back the House AND Senate this fall. What's needed now is our early action, dedication, and commitment.
Together, we can help Beto O'Rourke make history. But we have to make an early investment to get it done.
Thanks for all you do.
–Matt, Maria, Schuyler, Sara, and the rest of the team
1. "Watch Out, Ted Cruz. Beto is Coming," The New York Times, April 7, 2018
2. "A new poll puts Beto O'Rourke just 3 points behind Ted Cruz in Texas," Vox, April 18, 2018
4. "About Beto," Beto for Senate, accessed April 21, 2018
5. "Beto O'Rourke says he raised staggering $6.7M in first quarter of 2018," The Texas Tribune, April 3, 2018
6. "Beto in the Outfield," GQ, April 19, 2018
7. "Healthcare," Beto for Senate, accessed April 21, 2018
Want to support MoveOn's work? The MoveOn community will work every moment, day by day and year by year, to resist Trump's agenda, contain the damage, defeat hate with love, and begin the process of swinging the nation's pendulum back toward sanity, decency, and the kind of future that we must never give up on. And to do it we need your support, now more than ever. Will you stand with MoveOn?
PAID FOR BY MOVEON