Dear MoveOn member,
"Clinton’s lead keeps shrinking."1
That's the headline that polling guru Nate Silver—who called 2012 and 2014's election results with impressive accuracy—uses in his most recent polling update.
One poll just released from CNN has Trump surging into first place—leading Clinton by two points.2
We were ready for this. Because we understood three things:
- Polls would likely tighten (and they have).3
- Any chance of a Trump victory is too high. Because—as The Washington Post editorial board noted in its unprecedented early unendorsement—Trump is a "unique and present danger" to American democracy.4
- This election will likely be close and come down to voter turnout in the battleground states. That is exactly what our election program is about: leveraging MoveOn members' grassroots people power to help get out the vote.
That's why, this week, we made a big, bold decision to increase our organizing staff in battleground states to 100 people. They will organize thousands of MoveOn members to knock on more than one million doors and turn out progressive voters who otherwise might not vote in November, including people of color, immigrants, single women, millennials, and committed Bernie supporters.
It's a risky decision because we'll need to raise major resources to pay for our full expanded election program—both right away and in the coming weeks.
But we're taking a leap of faith—and we'll need your help to make sure it pays off. To start, we've set an emergency goal of raising $100,000 by Thursday to complete the first phase of our big new expansion.
Will you chip in $2.70—or more if you can afford it—to ensure that we have the resources to support hiring more organizers in swing states, like Ohio, Florida, and Pennsylvania?
Thanks for all you do.
–Vicki, Justin R., Stephen, Corinne, and the rest of the team
1. "Election Update: Clinton's Lead Keeps Shrinking," FiveThirtyEight, September 6, 2016
2. "Poll: Nine weeks out, a near even race," CNN, September 6, 2016
3. "Election Update: Clinton’s Lead Keeps Shrinking," FiveThirtyEight, September 6, 2016
4. "Donald Trump is a unique threat to American democracy," The Washington Post, July 22, 2016
Want to support our work? Senator Elizabeth Warren says, "I'm so enthusiastic about MoveOn's smart and targeted plan to hire a network of organizers in key battleground states to mobilize and train volunteers to knock on hundreds of thousands of doors. It's bold and ambitious—and exactly what is needed to help swing Senate races, resoundingly defeat Donald Trump, and give Democrats a fighting chance to take back the House." Will you chip in to help make it all possible?
PAID FOR BY MOVEON